DH @ Gore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DH @ Gore

campgottagopee
So, I'm getting into this mt bike thingE and some buddies of mine are heading to Gore next weekend to do some DH. I've never done anything like this be4 but I'm seriously considering going. I've looked at the trail map and it seems as tho there's beginner to expert ways down. Will a newbie like me kill myself???? Trust me when I tell you I wont be taking anything marked expert nor will I try and keep up with these other nut jobs....they need serious help.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DH @ Gore

Condor
ill start off by saying most everything there is intermediate at best...at least when i was there last year? 2 yrs ago maybe, and looking at the map not much has changed. the trails are also okay at best. wolfpack if i remember correctly is the best trail there and its also the biggest PITA to get to. the rest are either just riding down the ski trails or work roads with a few "tree sections". riding down a ski trail/work road can be fun because you will start hauling, but when you have monster drainage ditches that will eat your bike and send you flying it takes away from any real enjoyment. id highly highly highly recommend saving the $30 that they charge for 6trails and go to whiteface which has a ton. ill also say the trails at whiteface are much more accommodating for the beginner rider and its very easy to progress with them. you should be able to stay on the shuttle all day and ride the lower mountain trails and have a blast on those. same goes for your friends as well, get them to head up to whiteface. plus the other thing that really just erks me is how they start at noon and end at 3:30 at gore
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thanks for the info. Think WF may be a better plan. I didn't care for the 3 1/2 hour window either...seems strange.

Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
a steins meetup?!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Hey NOW

That has possibility written all over it
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
Whiteface is really nice.  They've put a ton of effort into the trails since the first time I rode there 2007.  I went last summer and the difference in the trails from 2007 to 2011 was like night and day.  Yes, lots of beginner options, and the advanced stuff is GNARLY!!!  (Not that I've had the guts to try that yet!)  Also, for a closer option, Camp, you could try Plattekill.  I've not been there, but a lot of my friends like it.  I'm not sure if the beginner offerings are as numerous as at WF, though.  Maybe someone who's been there can comment.  BTW, when are you coming to Shindagin so I can give you a tour???
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm thinking we'll make it down to Shindagin sometime this fall. Due to golf tourneys we've been riding our local (8-10 mile)  loop early mornings or late evenings. It's a pretty good one....1 mile of road and 7 miles of trail.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
i picked up my pass on sunday and planned to mt bike for the first time at gore. boy, was i surprised that the free gondola rides perk for passholders doesn't apply to biking! no where on the web site did i see this fine print. i'm not sure i'd go back for 30 bucks. anyhow, here are a few of my observations from a 50+ perspective. there were only 3 trails open: sindwinder,morgan's gulch, and wolfpack. sindwinder is the connector to the other two. once you got off the service roads or ski trails, there were an unbelievable morass of rocks and roots. anyone who has hiked the adirondacks knows this kind of terrain. i think a biking buddy is essential as there is a great chance for injury if a fall occurs. IMHO, these trails are a good reason why i prefer downhill pedals instead of a binding system. wolfpack had one rocky chute that i couldn't manage. there were 4 other bikers there who appeared to be long time mt bikers who echoed my impressions during our conversations. i know that DH biking is a young man's sport due to speed and danger involved but i had hoped that the single track trails would have been more, well, like single track instead of a rock and root fest.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Camp,

You are insane to DH mtn bike at this point in your recovery.    
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by frk
I think that WF trails are better maintained.  Gore just started this and may not have the trail crew set up.  alos WF pass includes gondola.

I echo Scotty tho, Campie you definitely dont want to be downhill mtn biking and maybe not even mtn biking at this point.  ride on the road and dont push it.  pretty sure you and i had similiar surgery dates and i know in july i was focused on road biking.