Daily Mileage

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Daily Mileage

nepa
For the data junkies...Daily vertical feet gained is great metric.  What about miles traveled? Does anybody pay attention to their mileage?  What's your average?  What's your record?

My typical day at Mission is about 3 hours with no breaks.  This usually equates to 12 T2B runs.  Reviewing my activity log for the season, mileage wise, this usually yields about 15 miles.

I think I broke a mileage record today.  I was out at Stevens with a couple of Whipper-Snappers  that wanted to traverse the entire mountain.  We rode all of the open chairs, and clocked almost 36 miles in 5.5 hours of riding.  Great day despite less than stellar snow conditions.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Daily Mileage

Brownski
No idea what my daily mileage is and I only have a vague idea what my vert is most days but you've just about convinced me to buy a GPS. That is pretty cool.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Brownski wrote
No idea what my daily mileage is and I only have a vague idea what my vert is most days but you've just about convinced me to buy a GPS. That is pretty cool.
there are some great apps for the iphone that track all of this data as well.  I use an android and my gps on it seems to not agree with tracking apps.  But my brother on his iphone seems accurate.  I can find out which app he uses
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I got a GPS watch this season.  Best weekend was almost 40,000 vert and, I think, 22 miles.  Top speed was 64 m.p.h.  I don't care so much about miles.....maybe if I did more back country I would care about that and calories.  A huge amount of miles seems to indicate easier terrain.

GPS is great.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
D.B. Cooper wrote
A huge amount of miles seems to indicate easier terrain.
Interesting point.  I think it also depends on the layout of the mountain.  I was out with 2 12 year olds.  Both were really strong skiers, but they seemed to be suffering from terrain related A.D.D.  Even when we found lines with good snow it was "once and done."  I think our miles from yesterday were inflated by multiple moves from the front to the backside.  Yesterday we rode a pretty diverse array of mostly advanced terrain.  Everything from the back bowls to descents from Cowboy Ridge down through the Rock Garden.  
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
I got a GPS watch this season.

GPS is great.
which watch do you have? I am very interested in getting one
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Garmin Fenix 3.  Sister-in-law got it for me at a significant, significant discount.  I don't think I would have paid full pop.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it works on the golf course.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by nepa
IMO the Vert should always exceed the Mileage.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Our tours here entail a shit ton of traversing/long cross-ways skin tracks to get to the good steep skiing.

For an example, a gal I toured with a few weeks ago logged us in at just over 3k of climbing (not including the initial lift ride up of 2k) and a total of 5k in descending. This was in an eight hour long tour and some heavy milage. At this point in my life I'm way more into quality than quantity. I'd rather get a fraction of the possible vert I could get at the area for a wilderness experience with killer snow and no one else around unless of course, it's a killer sleeper powder day right off the chair.

Besides, You can't even match the vert and milage unless you are doing direct sky diving jumps. Having more vert than milage is physically impossible.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Unless you ski Le Massif!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
I meant when riding lifts like a normal lazy person.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"