classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Damaged Ski Tip

Harvey
Administrator
Having a hard time imaging how this happened. Or maybe not.  "Thin Cover" has been the name of the game. (LOL)

Skis are getting tuned but the kid I left them with had no idea what to do with that.

Ideas?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Damaged Ski Tip

Condor
cut the crushed base out, stick a flat head in there and push the edge back to sorta lined up (hammer makes it easier, but can do more damage as well). ptex it if you want but it probably wont hold, id just cement the crap out of it and sand it down. doesnt need to be pretty, just needs to keep moisture out of it. i did something similar to that on a pair of my skis a few years ago and it held well enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Looks like you hit something hard. Ouch.

Though not likely covered under warranty, it would be worth (get it, Worth) contacting the manufacturer for advice. They might be able to arrange shipping back to the Praxis factory for repair. The bro factor could come into play here, they will take care of you.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I really didn't feel anything. I think those rockers tips just deflect.

I sent a link to this thread to one of the guys. As you know this is not a priority for TC right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
... As you know this is not a priority for TC right now.
Very true. But Weasel seems like a man of action.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
NEVER had a problem with any of their builds. I'm going to chalk this one up to user error! Maybe you broke it at the same time as your heels? Holy moley, harv. How did you do that? Regardless, I hope they can get you whole again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ml242 wrote
NEVER had a problem with any of their builds. I'm going to chalk this one up to user error! Maybe you broke it at the same time as your heels? Holy moley, harv. How did you do that? Regardless, I hope they can get you whole again.
Not coming close to suggesting it was ski design and manufacturing, sorry if I gave that impression.

That soldier gave his life for another thin cover adventure at Hickory.
Reply | Threaded
|

weasel1
This post was updated on .
Bonk! I'd hate to see the other guy....

Harv, we would be happy to send it to Keith to repair. There may be a charge, but if so, I would expect it would be minimal. When my brother blew up his sidewall on a low-tide massacre at MRG last year, Keith returned it to as-new condition. It was pretty impressive. It will likely take a while though. Let me know your preference and we will get it sorted.

Addit: As Condor said, it isn't a hard DIY repair if you don't want to wait. The important thing is to make sure you fully seal and stabilize that area. If moisture gets in, it can continue to separate. A good flexible epoxy (longer cure is better, and in a warm place), plus clamping. I like to use multiple clamps and metal scrapers between the ski and the clamp. The scraper spreads out the pressure and keeps it more even. You want to really get the epoxy down in there, so a syringe and heat will help (heat helps the epoxy flow, but not too much!).

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
weasel1 wrote
Bonk! I'd hate to see the other guy....

Harv, we would be happy to send it to Keith to repair. There may be a charge, but if so, I would expect it would be minimal. When my brother blew up his sidewall on a low-tide massacre at MRG last year, Keith returned it to as-new condition. It was pretty impressive. It will likely take a while though. Let me know your preference and we will get it sorted.

Addit: As Condor said, it isn't a hard DIY repair if you don't want to wait. The important thing is to make sure you fully seal and stabilize that area. If moisture gets in, it can continue to separate. A good flexible epoxy (longer cure is better, and in a warm place), plus clamping. I like to use multiple clamps and metal scrapers between the ski and the clamp. The scraper spreads out the pressure and keeps it more even. You want to really get the epoxy down in there, so a syringe and heat will help (heat helps the epoxy flow, but not too much!).
weasel.. very cool. I REALLY can't part with those boards now as you can probably imagine.

I'll do my best with the repair.  I'm probably down for another pair of Worths over the summer, maybe going fatter.

Wondering if you guys held on to my custom graphic?  

Video added above due to it's general awesomeness.
Reply | Threaded
|

weasel1
Of course we still have your graphic...and there is room on the Bootlegger build if you want a pair. 178cm, 20.5m radius, 140-105-120, all-maple or maple-aspen blend core, carbon or titanal. $500 on this first build only. We have 3 pair not yet spoken for.

/spam  

Thanks for fixing the video embed. I'm useless at this stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Great video, weasel.
Reply | Threaded
|

weasel1
Thanks ML! Shake that snow globe a little, will ya? :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by weasel1
weasel1 wrote
Well I spoke to the guy who's tuning them (who I don't know from Radam), read this description and asked if he could handle.

He seemed confident so I told him to go for it. We'll see what we get.

He wanted me to wait until Thursday so he could trim off the excess, but I need those freakin boards in my hands now so I am grabbing them tonight.

May the force be with me.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Looks like they got slammed when a tail gate was closed
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Here's what the ski shop in flatlandia did. Hard to take pictures so close.

What the hell do I know but to my untrained eye it looks pretty good:

The ski tech begged me to leave them another day so he could "grind them and clean them up" whatever that means.

I asked it it mattered beyond looks and he said no.

Hopefully they are again Worthy.
Reply | Threaded
|

weasel1
Make sure there are no gaps where the edge and sidewall meet. Since he only had 4 hours, he couldn't have used a long cure (24-72 hours) epoxy, which I normally prefer. It will likely be fine, just watch it. Heck, I have had 5min epoxy quick and dirty repairs hold an edge in place underfoot for years, so I would expect that in this spot, barring any more daffies to the concrete or tailgate mishaps, you should be good to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

akokskis
In reply to this post by Harvey
Looking good, Harv!
Just make sure to keep an eye out on that spot as the seasons goe on - you really want to make sure that it doesn't open up again and let water in.
go Go GO!

Worth Skis
I like to take pictures.

13-14: 14. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69! 09-10: 65.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by weasel1
Not sure what he used but he told me it was "still wet and not to use it for at least 24-36 hours, more would be better."

I don't see any gaps.

I guess we'll see. He didn't charge me for it (beyond the two full tunes I bought), so I guess we'll see.

Unfortunately it looks like work is going to keep me from this beautiful coming storm so maybe it will get all the time it needs.