classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Delaware Water Gap to MOC - 5/26-27/11

jimvdak
This post was updated on .
So we started out the trail with a very ambitious goal to do the Delaware Water Gap to Culvers Gap on the AT in 3 days and 2 nights. Unfortunately we got barely half way. My hiking buddy, never being a boy scout, was packed probably at least 20 lbs over his limit. My pack weighed in at about 28 lbs and he still hasn't weighed his (first sign of a problem). But still, we ventured out with every intention of doing the entire section. We were in just a little over our heads.

The hike up the first mile or so is rather steep with about a 1000 foot climb up to the top before it gradually levels off at about a mile and a half in.

After reaching the backpacker site just a few miles in and with more than half the trail to go to our first night's resting place, the thunder rolled in and by the time we reached Sunfish Pond another half mile up the trail, the sky opened up and it proceeded to rain throughout the rest of the day. The trail along the half mile or so of the pond is by far the rockiest trail I've ever seen and it's not to be underestimated with 30 lbs on your back!

Sunfish Pond where we filled up our canteens (water tasted good after being purified). And those rocks show just how rocky that entire section was!

By the time we got to the top of the ridge on the boarder of Worthington State Forest the rain subsided for all of 15 minutes before the rolling thunder came back in and chased us back on the trail.

Just a little damp...

The Trail got jungle-like after the rain rolled in again and we were in the clouds.

Another whiles away, the trail began to slowly decend to where we spent the night at Mohican Outdoor Center, a great family-friendly place that could serve as a great base camp for some great day hikes.

(Picture taken the following day once the sun came out)

(AFTER I showered and changed my socks)

Pictures from the following day's day hike are below. I would have liked to continue on and do the remaining 15 miles of what we originally planned, but it would have been foolish with my friend's pack as heavy as it was. Luckily he learned his lesson for next time!! Overall we did about 9.5 miles on the AT and another 2 miles or so on side-trails the following day without our packs:

Overall, it was a great learning experience and I look forward to doing it again better prepared. We're beginners, give us a break! :-)
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Delaware Water Gap to MOC - 5/26-27/11

x10003q
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the report. Rain can be a bummer on the trail although an over stuffed pack is a bummer rain or shine.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Nice! Bummer about the rain. my son and i did the pa side last year, wind gap to water gap

starting to plan our trip for this year - either another at section, finger lakes trail or high peaks. any suggestions? looking for 2 day/ 1 night moderate difficulty loop or easy logistics for drop vehicle. most of our gear isn't "real" back packing stuff yet = heavy & bulky.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
Nice! Bummer about the rain. my son and i did the pa side last year, wind gap to water gap

starting to plan our trip for this year - either another at section, finger lakes trail or high peaks. any suggestions? looking for 2 day/ 1 night moderate difficulty loop or easy logistics for drop vehicle. most of our gear isn't "real" back packing stuff yet = heavy & bulky.
You could always catch the FLT from your place at GP...have the Mrs. drop you and JR off in Ithaca and hike back to Virgil...that would be pretty cool
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
I've been looking at doing an out and back trip going northbound on the AT from Bear Mountain State Park..I don't think it's too tough of a hike to get from there to the next shelter going North and there are some amazing views in the area. I hike up that way a lot
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
And actually if you buy the official AT guidebook for NY/NJ, they have a section of shorter section hikes that look pretty good. When I get home and dig it out, I'll post a few here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by jimvdak
Man that brings back memories.  I did a ton of hiking and camping in grammar school up at Sunfish Pond and it seemed like it rained on every trip.  Our gear was really rudimentary (crappy!) and we got soaked.

Good on ya, looks like a great trip.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp