Drugs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Drugs

raisingarizona
So we have had a few discussions on here about drug use and the laws against them. I have mentioned that heavy drug use or addiction is usually a result of childhood trauma, some posters disputed that claim and felt that the users have a choice and need to be accountable for their actions. Well in some ways yes, at some point an addict that decides to get better does need to own up to their actions but the road that gets people to that point is much more complicated than a lot of people understand. All I'm saying that if you are going to throw around opinions that judge people you know nothing about you should at least educate yourself on where those people are coming from and the catalyst for such behavior.

Truthfully, if you only repeat things that you have been conditioned to believe without critical thinking or any education than I don't really value your opinion very much and to be honest it comes off being very arrogant.

When a former addict hears people say things like I have heard on this site it can be very hurtful, no one wants to be in that situation but it's often the only way they know how to deal with the pain and suffering they have experienced and continue to experience every day.

So.....here is one article that popped up on my facebook feed, there are many more just like this one and even more research papers saying the same kinds of things.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/25/by-understanding-why-people-use-drugs-i-now-know-why-i-dont-use-them?CMP=fb_gu
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Drugs

raisingarizona
Crickets eh? :)

That's ok. I really wanted to say this. Hopefully a few that don't understand addiction got to read it anyways.

For the record I have all kinds of issues, drugs not being one. this isn't about me but I know of many and their stories so it bothers me when people say terrible things about a topic they don't fully understand.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Not really sure what to say.  The quote by the woman about her own suicide was very sad.

I agree that mental health issues are treated very differently by society vs physical health issues.  

IMO a large number of premeditated "murders"  are also mental health issues.  Who thinks killing someone solves anything?  And why is war exempt from the ten commandments among people who are "religious?"

Also IMO opinion society is closer to treating heroin addiction as a health issue vs murder.

The whole thing is so complex I can't make sense of it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
My assistant at work is a ex herion addict..

" no one put the needle in my arm..I did it because I wanted to get high.."  
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JasonWx wrote
My assistant at work is a ex herion addict..

" no one put the needle in my arm..I did because I wanted to get high.."

That's just it. When does a person think that putting a needle in their arm is a good idea. I can't comprehend that.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
RA.  I understand and agree with much of this.  I come from a family of compulsive gamblers.  Several of my close relatives have squandered fortunes at games of chance.  They sought help unsuccessfully, and died bankrupt.  I don't like to gamble, but I do enjoy using drugs (alcohol included)

To be honest, I don't think that the primary source of addiction is the result of traumatic past experiences (for example sexual abuse).  This is certainly one of the sources, but there are a multitude of others.  In general, I would say addiction in my family is a result of genetically passed mental illness (clinical depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, and bi-polarity)  To my knowledge, none of the gamblers in my family were abused at any point... a few of them were also alcoholics.

I'm certain you already know this, as you have stated it a couple of different ways.  I am just restating it for this thread:  Addiction is not a crime.  Addicts commit crimes, but one could argue that these crimes are easily preventable if we take a different societal approach to addiction.  Because society focuses on addiction from a moral sense, addicts are considered "bad (or morally weak) people"  This has resulted in substandard rehabilitation services for the majority of addicts.  In has also branded many good people as criminals... in turn creating a fantastic revenue source for private prisons.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Oh ya, I'm not saying that ALL of addicts have come from similar experiences, there are so many variables and we are all wired differently so the mental health problems are definitely another factor.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Ugh:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59155c78e4b0fe039b339a20?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

In a memo dated May 10, Sessions wrote federal prosecutors “should charge and pursue the most serious, readily provable offense,” calling that a “core principle” of the Justice Department’s charging and sentencing policy.

The new policy replaces the approach of the Justice Department during the Obama administration under former Attorneys General Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch. They gave federal prosecutors more leeway to decide when it was appropriate to charge crimes that trigger mandatory minimums, which automatically result in set prison terms.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Well then they should start at the Top and have the Carrot Topped Moron tested right away, did anyone notice all the snorting going on in the Lester Holt interview?. At least drugs would be a reasonable explanation of the Tweeter In Chiefs behavior.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Snowflake!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
ScottyJack wrote
Snowflake!

I've tried it...  Not so good..  Snowball is better...  
Wait... what?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Heh heh.  The gun store in The Simpsons is called Blood Bath & Beyond.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote

I need this shirt
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
here ya go

http://www.tomaroundtheworld.com/UticaBathSalts.html

Buddy of mine has had one for years

possibly the funniest shirt I've seen in a while
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
dmc_hunter wrote
campgottagopee wrote

I need this shirt
GOT IT!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
here ya go

http://www.tomaroundtheworld.com/UticaBathSalts.html

Buddy of mine has had one for years

possibly the funniest shirt I've seen in a while
I fukcing love it!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
I remember the summer of bath salts... Was scarey as hell..   I actually bought  a test kit to prove to people that they were doing bath salts at concerts -  They were..  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
HAHAHA

That's friggin too funny

I remember that summer too. Friend of mine is a cop ---- got called on a domestic ---- he pulled his cruiser up to the front steps of the house ----- just then a naked dude come busting out of the house, plants one foot on the hood of his cruiser then leaps the length of the car and runs away. He simply picked up his radio and said the suspect got away. He said the dude was like superhuman. LMAO

They caught the guy about an hour later. Apparently naked crazed men are easy to find.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
My buddy who's a cop at SPAC had to deal with a girl that jumped naked from a pole after a concert..  Was crazy...

I'm not necessarily against the use of them..  I just want people to know what they are doing.   They all thought it was MDMA - but they were ALL wrong that summer..  Nobody died... That I know... thank god...