Dust on Crust

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dust on Crust

highpeakskier
Here was my backcountry experience today. There was about 1" of dust on 5" of snow with an ice crust. It was fast and fun. Downhill from Fallen Leaf Pond off the Jack Rabbit Trail. Lilly kicks some ass.

nature gave us a brain, life gives us a mind. (little dog with Rockies Collegiate Peaks in backround)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dust on Crust

Cornhead
Cool, looks like you both had a great time. Lilly must have been missing Winter too.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by highpeakskier
That's some sick footage.  Is that one of those new, High Def GoPros?
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
No i didnt bring my gopro. Thats my iphone4s. I didnt think it came out that well. Thanks. I almost lost it on the corner coming down, looking at the trail, camera & dog at once. It was fun.
nature gave us a brain, life gives us a mind. (little dog with Rockies Collegiate Peaks in backround)
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Nice Trail ski video. How much snow is on the ground total? 5 inches is that it? What kind of dog is that, looks pretty fast for alittle guy?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Awesome.  I haven't even had nordic skis on yet this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Agreed. That is awesome. Nothing like skiing with the dog.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
In reply to this post by Hudsonhiker
Thats all we got. She's a parson jack russell. It was 8 out when I let so she has to wear a coat. If she didnt she would be a frozen snow ball by the time we got home. She doesnt know she's little.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Looks like fun! Great trail dog!
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
How are you holding your iPhone? Do you have a special mount?
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
Poles in one hand iphone in the other. I bought a lifeproof case for it so Im not as afraid to use it. I thing the video isnt that good on the iphone 4s. It may be the lens on the case
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Nice clip. Nothing like skiing with your dog. Jack Russells love the chase game on skis. Yesterday and today my JRT Quin and i made the best of things on skis at the local nature preserve. Here's a clip of some of our skiing last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
Is that this year? Theres a ton of snow there. You should get a onesy suit like I have for Lily. It allows her to stay out in the cold longer. Your dog looks a little snowballish there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
highpeakskier wrote
Is that this year?
I only wish!  All last year.

Clips are: first two, Prospect Mtn/Lake George; Pok-O-Moonshine Mtn. (deep snow); then Cat and Thomas Mtns (Lake George).

Quin is a "rough coat" or "broken coat" Jack.  Longer hair so he does a little better in the cold, but he has the same smooth spotted belly of JRTs/Parsons.  I try to avoid temps in the single digits or colder because he shows a real dislike of extreme cold.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Michaeltokyo wrote
Yesterday and today my JRT Quin and i made the best of things on skis at the local nature preserve.  
Hi Mike, WWPP?  I skied this afternoon out the back door (Kalabus-Perry preserve), first time nordic this winter.  Surprisingly good for 3" coverage.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Hi, Jeff,

I was at the Woods Hollow Nature Preserve in Milton today and yesterday.  Two inches of fresh powder on an icy base covering rocks and roots.  Marginal ski conditions this weekend, but it's a great place for off-leash dogs in any season  and great skiing even without a dog.   Here's the map:  http://townofmiltonnewyork.com/images/stories/woodshollow.pdf

I like the Wilton Preserve XC course, but I guess it's not really dog friendly.  I'm curious about the Kalabus-Perry Preserve and need to check that out.

Unfortunately the snow conditions will likely cause a postponement or cancellation of next week's Cat and Thomas Mtn. tour at the LGLC.

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Michaeltokyo wrote
I was at the Woods Hollow Nature Preserve in Milton today and yesterday
Woah, that's <2 miles from my house! I used to Be over that way a lot with my dad probably 10 years ago.

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
I know about Woods Hollow but have never visited.  Anytime you want to ski tour around the Kalabus Perry, let me know.  I beleive dogs are OK at WWPP as long as they are leashed.  Maybe you should try ski-joring!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
i heart lilly!