Dynafit TLT Radical FT Z12 or Fritschi Vipec 12

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dynafit TLT Radical FT Z12 or Fritschi Vipec 12

JTG4eva!
So, a pair of tech bindings is in my future.  Any thoughts on the Dynafit versus the Fritschi?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dynafit TLT Radical FT Z12 or Fritschi Vipec 12

nepa
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Thanks, good price, about what I was looking at for the Fritschi Vipec 12.  I can snag the Dynafit Radical FT Z12 for $300.  Haven't done enough research yet to know if one is better than the other, so looking for your guy's real world experience!
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
I have my tech rig mounted up with a set of Plums.  Plum makes great tech bindings to, but I think Dynafits are probably a better choice.  I have not read to many good things about the Fritschi's... everyone I ride with out here swears by the Dynafit platform.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
both excellent.  the vipecs you can switch from walk to ski without having to step out of the ski.  I like that.  I've also hammered the vipecs on softer days at WF and never has an issue.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
There's a guy over on TGR forums who owns a shop in the UK, selling Kingpins and Dynafits shipped to the US for like $350USD soup to nuts.  Supposedly it's all legit and many ppl have successfully purchased from him.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
both excellent.  the vipecs you can switch from walk to ski without having to step out of the ski.  I like that.  I've also hammered the vipecs on softer days at WF and never has an issue.
I bought a pair and mounted them on some Voile V6's - waiting for the right conditions...
You want to get the latest version, they improved them to reduce the effect the ski binding has on the binding release
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Check this out https://www.wildsnow.com/21378/fritschi-ski-touring-evo-tecton-vipec/

Also, as PT just mentioned, there is a big difference between last year's vipec and this year's.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
If you don't care about din releasable toes I highly recommend the G3 Ion. That's the equivalent of the dynafits but they ski much better, and aren't a pain in the ass to get into like the Vipecs. Dynafit has fallen behind the trends of more modern low tech options. I am not even sure that Radical's are an improvement on the FT series, or comforts.

Avoid the Vipecs on STP, they are an older model and full of problems.

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I should add that I know many talented skiers getting lots of days in on Vipecs that appreciate the extra safety features and that my goals with gear are weight, ease of use, and dependability.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Here is some excellent food for thought on AT boot/binding compatibility and whether or not your bindings will release when needed:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
That was interesting. Confirms what I thought about the regular dynafits being surpassed in every way. Had no idea that the sliding AFD in the frame bindings was such a liability. My eyes have truly been opened about that. Particularly because they are more recommended for casual users and the accident liability goes far beyond avalanches in normals situations like a waterbar, twisting fall, etc. Releasability in pin bindings is still not my concern for my tours. In the northeast the avalanche statistics are horrifying in terms of blunt trauma, not asphyxiation like in euroland. People would be wise to listen to his remarks about locking out the toe though for skiing. Completely unnecessary. If you find yourself needing to do this it is because you did not clean out the pins 99% of the time. I probably would lock it out though to make that ski cut. It's a judgement call and I wouldn't want to risk stepping out on top of the cosmic couliour, but I also probably wouldn't be up there if I thought a ski cut was necessary to gauge the slope. I'd rather ski something safer elsewhere and live to ski another day.

I still have no opinion on beasts or kingpins, but if I wanted the extra weight i'd bring up a tasty brew.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Thanks for the info guys!

I pulled the trigger on the Dynafit Radical FTs, not the recent 2.0 version.  While the FT 2.0 or the Vipec Black would provide better toe release performance, I let cost be a driver.  I'd have had to spend $100 more to go with either of those.  At the end of the day I'll be using my alpine setup on hard charging days in firmer conditions (when I might be more in need of that toe release protection).  When I do have the AT setup out it will be in softer snow and powder, and I'm not too agressive in the powder......I'm a floater, not a fighter.....so I shouldn't be snagging too many snow snakes or bouncing off too many buried boulders.  The Dynafits are pretty tried and true, and should serve me well as part of a quiver.  Time will tell.....
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Are you serious? They're the worst ones. I sent you a 40% off coupon for Fritschi's last night -- the recent fixed model.

I am incredibly disappointed by the radicals. They had issues where the heels could only rotate one direction, toes breaking, and they have no improvements in elasticity compared to any competitor.

I've owned 6 pairs of dynafits. I'm. It kidding when I say that the newest ones are not the best. They're even talking about rereleasing verticals.

If you can return them definitely think about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It's really wild but they have squandered so much brand loyalty from me. I thought I would never buy another binding but between the radicals problems and the beast needing that heel interface when you don't need it for competitors they have completely squandered decades of competitive advantage.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Shit man, sorry I disappointed you!  I didn't see that coupon (the email linked to my profile isn't my main).  That is a decent deal.....but still $90 more than I paid for the Dynafits.  For a part time rig for someone who isn't making his livelihood on skis I'm hoping the Dynafits will serve me well enough, even if the Vipecs have pulled ahead.  From my research it seems it was the easiest radical that had the problems with heel breakage, an issue that was eliminated in later versions.  I can see how the heel rotating clickwise only could suck for someone who was used to it rotating in both directions, but hopefully that won't be too much of an issue for me.  I appreciate the passion, I know I could have gotten a better binding, but you roll the dice and take your chances.  Hope I don't give you the opportunity to say I told you so.....
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ml242
Than you very much for posting this. Although I have never locked my toe in while skiing I have never considered unlocking it while skinning but this makes perfect sense.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I have 2 pairs of these, they are fine and have no problem with releasing when they should and a few times where they released when I thought they should not have.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Ohh!!  I likie those tectons!  started w/ the freerides like 6 years ago, moved on to the vipecs and def will get a pair of them tectons!  love the looks of that heel piece and the way the lifters work.  def an improvement over the vipecs.  

the twisting heel dynfit concept never seemed like the  right way to go for  me....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
ScottyJack wrote
Ohh!!  I likie those tectons!  started w/ the freerides like 6 years ago, moved on to the vipecs and def will get a pair of them tectons!  love the looks of that heel piece and the way the lifters work.  def an improvement over the vipecs.  

the twisting heel dynfit concept never seemed like the  right way to go for  me....
I hear ya on the dynafiddles! I like the tecton concept also, as it seems to take my kingpins to the next level.
Gotta go to know