EPIC DAY, WHITEFACE, 02-28-2010

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EPIC DAY, WHITEFACE, 02-28-2010

Face4Me
A re-hashed trip report from Whiteface for Feb 28, 2010.

Got to Lake Placid at about 3:30 AM. Slept for a few hours, woke up at 7:00 and was at the mountain at 8:00. Booted up at Kids Kampus (lots were already filling up at 8:00!!!!) and made my way over to the Gondola to be there at opening. Skies were overcast and was expecting another cloudy day. Mid-way up the Gondola, got up above the clouds to blue-bird skies!!!

Whiteface above the clouds ...

Started down Essex, which was bumped up big-time ... legs weren't ready for that after only a few hours sleep ... picked my way down in a very pathetic manner. Skied down to Little Whiteface chair and decided to take a couple of runs down Mountain Run to try to wake up. After the second run, it became obvious that caffeine was required. Jumped into the mid-lodge for a quick cup, and then headed back out to Little Whiteface to the top. Back down Essex, a slightly better performance this time, but still not too impressive, and then made my way over to Lookout Mountain. My inaugural run on Hoyt's High was up next. Took a run down ... LOTS of nice soft snow.

Entry to Hoyt's High ...

Looking down into the valley from Hoyt's High ...

Got back down to the Lookout chair and decided a repeat was needed. Second time through, even better. Hoyt's isn't quite as difficult as I had expected, in fact, without the exposed stumps, rocks and such, it probably shouldn't even be a black diamond (just my opinion).

Headed down to the base with the summit in mind. On the way up, HighPeaksDrifter returned my call so I made my way back down to the mid-station lodge to meet up with him and Chris. Down to the base and on the Face Lift to get to Lookout Mountain to do Hoyt's High again. Cover was starting to get a little thin, with more rocks and stumps exposed.

A couple more runs and then ultimately the Little Whiteface chair to the top, and over to Cloudsplitter Glades. One word ... NICE!!! Made our way down through Cloudsplitter Glades to Tenth Mountain Division Glades and then to the Summit Quad.

Cloudsplitter and Tenth Mountain Division Glades ...

Down Skyward and crossed over to Upper Cloudspin. Lots of snow, but the clouds had rolled in and temps had dropped so the snow was a little "chunky". Back down to the mid-station for a quick break and then onto the Little Whiteface chair for another pass through Cloudsplitter Glades. From there, back over to Lookout Mountain to give Sugar Valley Glades a try from the Hickock Hill entrance. Some decent lines through there, though a little too much traversing across the fall line. Would like to see some more lines down the fall line.

Sugar Valley Glades ...

Back over to Little Whiteface for another pass through Cloudsplitter Glades (in case it's not already obvious, it's my favorite place at Whiteface) and then over to Lower Mackenzie, which was bumped up nicely.

Cloudsplitter Glades ... Victor's Vortex ...

Cloudsplitter Glades with my 48" poles buried to the grips!!!

Lower Mac ...

Decided to ride Little Whiteface one last time to get over to Upper Empire. There were a couple of bare spots and exposed rocks, but it was in the best shape I've ever seen it!!! Back over to Lower Mackenzie for one last run and called it a day.

Empire looking up ...

and down ...

It was time to head over to the LP Pub and Brewery for more than a few pints and to watch USA Hockey lose to Canada (damn it, though what a game!!!)

All in all, an awesome day, even though I didn't go into the Slides. I know most people would think I'm crazy to pass up an opportunity to ski the Slides, but I don't think I missed anything, and ... tomorrow's another day!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: EPIC DAY, WHITEFACE, 02-28-2010

Highpeaksdrifter
That was a great day. Great report and pics F4M.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Looks fantastic.  That was a great day all across the northeast for sure.

James, Jason and I at Plattekill that weekend and it was just too deep really. Certainly no way to ski the trees.

The Daks 50 inches was plenty and more manageable.

Especially love the pics of Cloudsplitter Trees, Hoyt's Lower Mac and Empire.  Love Empire.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Great TR from a great day.
You know it's a good day when Empire's on.