I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Early Season Plans?

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
Could have been a marketing thing with having the first 6-pack in Arizona
Of course, in part but going for the shock and awe marketing campaign can be short sighted for the big picture program. I think that the unloading area might need to have to have some earth moving going on to the handle the traffic and hopefully we get at least one more ski run off the ridge side. I rarely ski down ridge anyways so it won't affect the areas I generally ski at. It will get us up to midway a whole lot faster and hopefully run on wind hold days so it's WAY more benefits than any negatives.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
RA, tell us more about your mountain.  They have the worst maps!  The Agassiz Triple looks like it lets you off at 11,000 feet.  They list the top elevation at 11,500.  The double black trails in the upper bowl only have lines coming down from mid-bowl on the map.  Looks like Agassiz Peak tops out at 12,356.  So what's the deal?  Do you hike to Agassiz Peak from the top of the Agassiz chair?  Is Agassiz Peak in-bounds, or only so far up?  Is hiking access gate controlled?  How long is the hike to 11,500?  12,356?  How long is the traverse/hike out to the far side of the bowl?  How steep is the terrain off the ridge leading from Agassiz Peak.  I love steep looking peaks/ridges/bowls like that.  What's the 411 on skinning for BC turns around Snowbowl, is there a back side?  Does this van get good gas mileage?

Spill!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I'll get some images put together and start a new thread.  Give me a few days.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
So it looks like Mount Snow just opened Freefall on the North Face.  That may well be the steepest lift served open run in the east as Whiteface and Killington have not opened any of their steep terrain yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
RA, tell us more about your mountain.  They have the worst maps!  The Agassiz Triple looks like it lets you off at 11,000 feet.  They list the top elevation at 11,500.  The double black trails in the upper bowl only have lines coming down from mid-bowl on the map.  Looks like Agassiz Peak tops out at 12,356.  So what's the deal?  Do you hike to Agassiz Peak from the top of the Agassiz chair?  Is Agassiz Peak in-bounds, or only so far up?  Is hiking access gate controlled?  How long is the hike to 11,500?  12,356?  How long is the traverse/hike out to the far side of the bowl?  How steep is the terrain off the ridge leading from Agassiz Peak.  I love steep looking peaks/ridges/bowls like that.  What's the 411 on skinning for BC turns around Snowbowl, is there a back side?  Does this van get good gas mileage?

Spill!
I skied Arizona SB once while on a business trip...snowed 18" night before...I can say first hand the place is really cool and has some great skiing. It was several years ago, but I remember taking the one lift to the top then a short hike along a cat track put me out on some pretty cool stuff...don't recall any gate control etc.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Update on ADK and Catskill ski areas:

Hunter will be open on Monday, close Tuesday and Wednesday, and reopen Thursday.  Their sister mountain (Mount Snow) is following the same schedule, so this is a Peak Resorts thing.

Windham will also be open on Monday, but close Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, then reopen Friday.

Belleayre will operate daily this week, but the lower mountain will be closed until Friday.

Whiteface and Gore plan to operate daily at this point.

I'm guessing Whiteface may close the Facelift midweek and just run the gondola.  Almost everyone skiing today was using the gondola, and the Facelift was almost completely empty.  With the r*in, that will cause anyone who shows up to further gravitate towards the gondola.  Gore only has the gondola ready, so that's what will run there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
This post was updated on .
Here's a shot of WF this past Monday.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Wish I was able to go that day.  Can't blow off class this close to finals.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
cant blow off classes EVER dick weed.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
Totally, but as more terrain opens it seems like it's going to work.