Early Season Plans?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Early Season Plans?

snoloco
Cold weather next week should open many ski areas by Thanksgiving Weekend.

If Belleayre is open on Saturday, my dad and I are skiing there that day.  Regardless, I will ski at either Whiteface or Gore on Sunday on my way back up to Potsdam.  Gore is less of a detour on the drive, but Whiteface will likely have more terrain open.  I'll just play it by ear.

So excited to get this year started!!  

What does everyone else plan to do?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Early Season Plans?

Sick Bird Rider
I shall ski when it snows, and not a moment before. Also excited for the season to begin, but more in an old guy not jumping up and down kind of way.

Edit: and don't forget, I was on skis, on snow, in October. It snowed, so I skied.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
We should be skiing the WROD off of this bad boy within the next week! This is a really big deal for lil old Snowbowl, we aren't used to this sort of bling bling round here

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by snoloco
I'm gonna ski soon. That's about all I can say. I'm definitely excited for the season to start. Wherever gets open firstest and mostest and closest, I will go when I can get free and enjoy whatever is available.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Nice looking 6-pack, RA.

I'm debating heading up to K-mart next week with my youngest to get a day in before Thanksgiving.

Telemarkdown demo weekend 12/10-11 at K-mart will most likely be next.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Thanks, I've been working out. :)

How much terrain does Killington have opened?

I'm a little nervous taking my daughter out with only one run opened off a brand new high speed six pack. We will be shooting for first chair in the AM to get a few laps before things get crazy I'm thinking. I get bored pretty quick on crowded groomers anyways.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
That 6-pack looks great!!

Right now, Killington has only North Ridge skiing.  They have two routes open which are Rime and Reason-Upper East Fall.  Upper Great Northern is also covered, allowing for ski in access from the K1 to the North Ridge.  You have to hike back on the Peak Stairway to access the K1 gondola for downloading.

I'm guessing Wednesday 11/23 will be the first top to bottom day.  They will cover Great Northern onto Snowdon, and open Bunny Buster (upper and lower), Mouse Trap, Chute (middle) Killink, and Mouse Run.  The Snowdon Triple and Snowdon Poma will come on line.  Later, they open the lower and upper sections of Chute as well as open the Snowdon Quad.  They will also likely expand North Ridge terrain by then, opening Double Dipper (Upper) and Ridge Run (Lower).

They are hosting the World Cup on 11/26-27.  Unless you want to watch the event, I would avoid the place at all costs on those days.  All the K1 and Snowdon terrain should stay open, but getting around KBL will not be easy, and parking will be a nightmare.  They haven't covered Skyelark yet, so the Superstar lift will not be open to the public during the event.  It doesn't look like Snowshed or Ramshead will open by then, so you can't park down there and get right on a lift.  If it's a late Thanksgiving, they try and open both by then.

After the World Cup, Skyelark-High Road-Bittersweet should come on line as well as the Superstar lift.  Superstar will need to be groomed and resurfaced following the race, which may take a few days.  Snowshed and Ramshead should follow, and assuming good snowmaking conditions, should be set to open by the 1st to 2nd weekend in December.  They normally try to get all base areas open by Christmas.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

Brownski wrote
I'm gonna ski soon. That's about all I can say. I'm definitely excited for the season to start. Wherever gets open firstest and mostest and closest, I will go when I can get free and enjoy whatever is available.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
We're headed to the cabin a day earlier than usual on Thanksgiving Thursday instead of Friday.  This was a request from the women folk YEAH!

I'm actually pushing for Weds, cause too much is never enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I don't think Gore will open on Thursday, although it's very likely Whiteface will.  I'm guessing they open Friday with the gondola serving Foxlair-Sunway-Quicksilver.  Maybe Ruby Run-Showcase will also be on-line if they get the first route covered early.

Any idea why they opened with Showcase and AE2 last year, while they're going back to the old way this year?  Maybe just a trial run.  Because Showcase is steeper, it takes more snow to cover properly, and I remember last year there were rocks everywhere.  Foxlair is very rocky, but Sunway-Quicksilver isn't.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I hope it snows. I'll ski Gore and have fun. It's an advantage you know.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
WF will not be open on Thanksgiving Day.  I don't ever recall that happening even on years when we had snow and were open the week before.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
It happened last year, and the two years before.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno you are both right and wrong.  It it did happen last year.  It had never happened before that.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm going deer hunting --- skipping the entire WROD season

I'll ski when it snows
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Going to snow this weekend I hear
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good tracking snow!!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
1 in so far at Kmart.  I will be up in North Creek on Wednesday and hope they get some measurable so I can earn some turns if management doesn't chase me away...would love to see them open early.  But I will be there Friday if they are open with the full mass of folks...my type of Black Friday frenzy
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hunter confirmed opening in Friday.  Windham and Belleayre should follow soon.

Z confirmed Whiteface opening on Thursday.  I'm guessing Gore will stick with Friday.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
I'm going to ride on Saturday - In Jerz for Thanksgiving.   I wonder how much Hunter will have open?
It's fukcing winter here in Hunter. Like full on blowing and drifting and cold(15). Not a lot of snow - like maybe 8" in my yard.  I had no clue this was going to happen.  I haven't paid my plow guy. I haven't finished sealing up the house yet..

BUT - my gear is ready.  And I have a pass.