12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

East Coast Earthquake

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Was very mild in NJ, but it's amazing to feel a 3-story brick building with 3 foot thick walls swaying.

Earthquake rattles Washington, D.C., Virginia, New York

A 5.9 earthquake in Virginia today has been felt in Washington, New York City and North Carolina.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: 08/23/1111:00 am

WASHINGTON — A 5.8 magnitude earthquake centered northwest of Richmond, Va., shook much of Washington, D.C., and was felt as far north as Rhode Island and New York City.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was 3.7 miles deep. Shaking was felt at the White House and all over the East Coast, as far south as Chapel Hill, N.C. Parts of the Pentagon, White House and Capitol were evacuated. The quake was in Mineral, Va., in Louisa County.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/08/23/1792559/58-earthquake-in-virginia-felt.html

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: East Coast Earthquake

MC2 5678F589
Other people said they felt it, but I didn't feel it at all.  I was pumping gas at the time, and I didn't feel anything.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
My house was shaking for about 20-30 seconds. It felt like waves of motion. A lot of offices in this area were evacuated (North Jersey).

This was the first earthquake I felt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Other people said they felt it, but I didn't feel it at all.  I was pumping gas at the time, and I didn't feel anything.
In my limited experience with with earthquakes, it seems that you are less likely to feel it if you are standing on solid ground (a mild one that is). Buildings shake and you would have probably felt it if you were inside.

There was an earthquake in the Hinterlands last year, just before the G8 Summit, which was being held in my hometown. My first reaction was to go outside and look for the mushroom cloud, thinking some crazies had nuked the resort where the leaders would be staying.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i was in phily and felt nothing..
i remember the 1985 shake in Rockland County NY.. that woke me from a sound sleep..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

zach
I was sitting in my home office in north central NJ when it hit. I had significant back and forth movements of my home that caused two wind chimes to chime loudly and made my cabinets move and creak. At first I thought I was having a stroke or something because I felt a sense of vertigo and nausea. Then I realized what was going on. It lasted about 60 seconds here. Having a degree in geology I was totally stoked to finally experience an earthquake. I never would have guessed it would happen in my own home!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I was looking for some pictures to post.  

I googled "earthquake 2011 devastation" and found this:

I also found a YouTube video some dogs barking, but I'll spare you.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
That far exceeds the devastation we saw. Our dog got excited and knocked his bowl over, but our plastic chairs remained upright.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigDogMom
We had a classic made for TV movie experience at our home.  I was working on the computer and the dog was asleep at my feet when he suddenly bolted up and took off running.  I had no idea what was wrong with him and then I felt the tremors and heard the rumblings.  My first thought was that a neighbor had a huge load of boulders delivered.  It was so cool that the dog felt it first and had such a dramatic reaction - just like what happens in the cheesy TV movies.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
it was not felt at all in the ADK's

it was about the same magnitude as the Ausable Forks earthquake in 2002 which did some damage to town and part of 9N fell into the river.  Earthquakes in sandy soil without a rock base are the worst as the sand liquifies.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
In reply to this post by zach
Zach, I had the same reaction you did! I was worried it was something to do with my health until other people in my office said something.
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Boy and I were riding the ATVs and felt nothing, but my gal felt it while downtown Glen's Falls.