Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Electric Assist Bikes

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Those bikes may be great. Probably are.

Still not a fan of the concept.  It's got to add expense and weight.  

For me the point is to get exercise.  If the ride is too hard, I'd try something easier, not go for an electric bike.

I rode a Tesla electric bike.  $3500 for a heavy bike. It was fun using the motor but when the motor wasn't running it was just a heavy inefficient bike.  I ended up going purely on battery.  Could have a good application as a commuter.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
$3500 you can buy a real dirtbike
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Agree ^^ with both.

The added expense and weight lead me to believe that these won't be big sellers.  It's also something that seems like it would be difficult to maintain.  I have been riding my current rig for 5 seasons.  It still rides extremely well, but requires a fair amount of maintenance which I currently do in my shop at home.  Adding an electrical motor requires a more technical skillset for self-maintenance, and probably significantly increases the overall TCO.  

The product evolution over the past couple of decades is amazing.  High-end bikes are becoming like cars.  25 years ago when I bought my first MTB, I impulse bought it with cash, and didn't think twice about the cost of maintaining it.  For my next bike, it will require 6 months of product research, along with financing similar to a car loan.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by nepa
I absolutely hate the concept of electric mountain bikes. if you want to get to the top, pedal to the top (or do a car shuttle, or whatever).

But I'm sold on the concept of electric assist bikes in every other circumstance. And this post gives me a chance to plug my cousin's bike shop in NYC:

http://propelbikes.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
The product evolution over the past couple of decades is amazing.  High-end bikes are becoming like cars.  25 years ago when I bought my first MTB, I impulse bought it with cash, and didn't think twice about the cost of maintaining it.  For my next bike, it will require 6 months of product research, along with financing similar to a car loan.
And that is what I have the major issue with.  You used to be able to walk out of a local bike shop with a good bike for 200-400.  Now, you need a grand to get started and even that is low.  The local bike shops have totally given up on the under 500 bikes forcing you to go to Dick's or another big box store and get crap service and a worse off product.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Footer wrote
The local bike shops have totally given up on the under 500 bikes forcing you to go to Dick's or another big box store and get crap service and a worse off product.
It's not the LBS problem. The major suppliers are forcing the shops to double down.

You want to change the system go to BikesDirect.com
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.