classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Elk Mountain, PA. Th.3/22/12 - Closing Day

Big D
This post was updated on .
I live in Binghamton, NY. - Drove down to Elk Mtn. in Northern PA for their last day of the season. A quick 44 mile drive. Lift tickets were $10. for the last day. Was surprised to find that Elk had groomed the trails. Got on the lift at 9:15am. As I skied by the old picnic lodge, Cornhead yelled out. He had just got there and we skied the rest of the day together. The base was firm and softened up nicely when the sun warmed everything up. Skied every run fairly fast... cruising speed. Mainly skied Susquehanna, Slalom and the Tioga cruising trail. I didn't ski the Tunkhannock mogul field but Cornhead did about 3 runs down it at the end of the day. Great sunny, warm day with great skiing. I skied Elk 3 times this season (usually ski Greek Peak w/seasons pass). Cornhead skied Elk, 5 times this season. Elk rocks - a skiers mountain.

If anybody gets a chance, check out Elk Mountain... it does NOT disappoint!

Looking down Susqehanna trail:

Slalom Trail:

Some beginners:

The case of the "exploding ski boot". A skiers older boot suddenly cracked apart and the whole front section fell off:

Snowboard girl:

Tunkhannock Mogul Field:

Top part of mogul field was bare for about 10 feet or so:

Cornhead crossing the bare section:

Cornhead skiing the mogul field:

A parting shot at the end of the day:
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Elk Mountain - PA. Th.3/22/12 - Closing Day

Harvey
Administrator
I gotta say, maybe it's just the fact that I haven't skied the 3 WEEKS, but that looks sweet to me.  Especially when you consider the latitude of Elk Mountain. The cover looks really good and the bumps are delicious.

And.. dig it.. Elaine from Seinfeld snowboards there too.

Hey Big D - did you and Cornhead know each other from Greek or have you recently met?

BTW James did a magazine article you Elkies might want to check out.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
I breifly talked to Cornhead, once last year at Greek. Then this year we happened to run into each other at Elk on Fri. Jan. 6th at their demo days... then we kept running into each other at Greek several times and skied there together quite a few times. Then this past Sat. 3/17, I rode down to plattekill for St. Platty's day with him and his brother. Cornhead has an enormous passion for skiing... he has even hiked and skied Tukerman's ravine once.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by Big D
Wow Big D Cornhead and you jammed some great spring skiing in at the end this season ,I was working about a half hour South of there yesterday ,If i knew it was still that good I might have taken a nooner. Are you and Cornhead hittin somewhere else this wkend
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  Cool to catch the last chair of the season at Elk. Had a great day except for nearly castrating a lifty with my ski pole. I don't know how I managed to do that. It's not like this is my first clam bake. I started late to the staging area, decided to hop onto the planks to the side, instinctively stuck out my pole, planted it right in the thigh of the poor lifty, about three inches from his jewels. I felt terrible about it the rest of the day. I did redeem myself by skiing the guy with the busted boot skis down to the lodge for him. He was very grateful, I think that made his day, he had a huge brace on his left leg and said he used to be a good skier. He said he has virtually no feeling in his left leg.  I told him I saw him skiing earlier and that he still was a good skier. After I dropped his skis at the lodge, I thought about offering him a piggy back ride back to the lodge. I think I could have done it, he only weighs probably 140lbs, I'm 240. That would have been a photo op.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Big D
Big D wrote
The case of the "exploding ski boot". A skiers older boot suddenly cracked apart and the whole front section fell off:
Hey Big D:

SkiMag.com sent me an email asking for permission to use this photo.  They are writing and article and would like to use it.

PM me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Hey Big D:
SkiMag.com sent me an email asking for permission to use this photo.  They are writing and article and would like to use it.
PM me.

Harvey: I did send you an email. It's OK with me, for you to grant them permission to use the photo of the broken ski boot.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Big D!

I think you should snag the photo credit!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Big D wrote
Hey Big D:

PM me.
No shit!! That's wicked cool........Big D, def take the photo credit, what bragging rights!!! lol

Harv, did they happen to say how they found the pix??
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
Harv, did they happen to say how they found the pix??
My guess is they Googled it.  You know with Big D's TR title following proper format and all.

Originally Big D was being all modest but I think I convinced him to go for the photo credit.  We'll see if they get it right.  Pretty cool that they asked. Unofficial Networks would just steal it.

EDIT: Done deal. Ski Mag will send a link when the piece is posted.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey wrote
 And.. dig it.. Elaine from Seinfeld snowboards there too.
Haha. I noticed that, too. Hey, maybe " the Dingo ate that boot ! ".
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote

Yo, Big D ...... will you still sit next to us at the bar now that your a "Big Deal" ski mag photographer??
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote

Yo, Big D ...... will you still sit next to us at the bar now that your a "Big Deal" ski mag photographer??
HA, HA... should have asked for $1.00 for use of photo... then I could be "Big D - Professional Ski Magazine Photographer".
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Big D wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote

HA, HA... should have asked for $1.00 for use of photo... then I could be "Big D - Professional Ski Magazine Photographer".
Damn spiffy!!! You could cut lines and everything with those credentials.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
http://bit.ly/1mASeGn  Here is the article Big D
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Gunny J wrote
http://bit.ly/1mASeGn  Here is the article Big D
Thanks, Gunny!
Spoke with Jeff, for only a couple of minutes or so, and he is definitely a nice guy.
Jeff said it was fine with him if I took a photo of his broken ski-boot.
Seems like he mentioned that when he was in College (Wilkes-Barre area, maybe) that he played on the Basketball team.
Anyways Cornhead spoke to him more than I did.