9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Enduro or MX? Where are you riding?

Chris
This post was updated on .
They're skiing in Telluride.

Snowballs, where were ya riding?  The lady and I just moved up into your area- on 149.  Still have to get the dirtbike up here, but there seems to be a good amount of trails up in the French mtn area.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: North Creek/Gore ski sale

Snowballs
Banned User
So that's where they are! Sorry Harv. I kinda thunk you might win. C'est la vie.

Whacha got? Enduro or mx?
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
mx, its a crf450
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
We ride mostly at the club we belong to in Washington County. 90 miles of great trails, but bikes not allowed. We also go to VT sometimes and ride with atv clubs there. Central Pennsylvania trips too, nice state trail systems, bikes and all.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/atvindex.aspx 

Gimme a holla if you ever wanna go there. I know some nice AND cheap places to stay.

There are unofficial areas around here to ride. Some permissable, some not. Enduros make poaching easier and more stealthy as there's only a 1 minute window for them to see you leaving the road and you can exit via another route. Trucks and trailers parked at trail heads are a dead give away and the unloading process makes you vulnerable..

Warren County sheriff's department has quads and they do patrol clandestine areas sometimes, but they're utility quads that one should be able to out run, which is always kinda fun, but I haven't had to do that since I was a kid in Penna.

We ran into the Sheriffs back in the woods at an unofficial area once. We stopped and they just told us to make sure to keep the noise down, but my quads are quiet.  Loud pipes close areas and annoy/alert people to your presence who then call the coppers. They didn't tell us to leave or stay out, I guess it depends on where it's at.

The one sheriff had a stiffie over my Outlaw. " oh look a Polaris Outlaw " and he kept checking it out, pushing on the suspension and such for a long time while his buddy and I chatted. After awhile we both looked at him and kinda chuckled. I thought he was gonna ask if he could ride it.

There's a mx track in Granville. Hickory hill I believe it's called. It's on the web. NYTRO has club trails in Lucerne area and there's a club in Athol. I've ridden that one. At that time, they were just getting started so the mileage was limited. Local bike shops, Progressive Motorsports, has info on clubs.

Dirt trails are like tree skiing lines. They are there, but covert and sometimes permission is grey. Many people have dirt machines and I've found most of them ride out their back door on adjacent property they or friends own.

Beware of Park lands. I think the APA would spank ya if they caught you riding on Park land. Power lines are also a big No No in this state. Don't know if it's true, but I've heard repeatedly that they can confiscate your machine plus fines for riding on powerlines. That would suck.

Happy trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
The lady and I just moved up into your area- on 149.  Still have to get the dirtbike up here, but there seems to be a good amount of trails up in the French mtn area
Chris,
If you haven't been on the ADVrider.com message board, go to the regional Northeast forum and there's a thread for Team Ghetto posted by guys who know where the trails are.

Mike
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
mx, its a crf450
There used to be a pretty gnarly track behind my house in Saratoga. It was next to Quad Graphics.. a bunch of guys who worked there started it up 15-20 years ago (on private property owned by Quad). It died down for about 10 years, then came back to life for a few years before the company shut it down. Unofficial, free track with HUGE berms and pretty gnarly whoops. There would be at least 5 people riding there on any given day.

my friend is starting to ride there again to build it up himself, trying to keep it on The DL still. I dunno how that's going, though.

Check out the Eagle Bridge track.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Enduro or MX? Where are you riding?

Harvey
Administrator
This is some major thread drift boys.. so I broke this thread out.

I have no clue if the new title even makes sense.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
rm250. clintonville, keene plattsburgh tracks
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Thanks for all the links/info.  I have a few really nice tracks I can ride in the area when I please, which is a great resource.  I  tore my PCL, sprained ACL/MCL and fractured my tibial plateu a few months ago at a track I'm 100% comfortable at, which  was a huge reminder of how dangerous the sport is.  I was thinking about selling my bike, but with roots in the dirtbike life and with both brothers having bikes it seems like an investment to hold on to.

The sport is just such a risk especially on a track, so I really want to stick to the trails from now on.  Well ok.. maybe a nice sand track on occasion.  

The club thing is a little too formal for me, don't have enough time to trailor out for a half days worth of riding, though it would be awesome to check out Catra ect..

I think my biggest problem is having a hand in too many activities.  Snowboarding, XC skiing, hockey, shows, mtn bike, dirtbike, hike, going to camp.  Not enough days week!

work sucks.