Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Epic Eastern Storms

Harvey
Administrator
We're working on a image gallery in the directory called Epic Eastern Storms:

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/epic-storms/

If you can think of great storms (Winter especially, but other seasons ok) and you know the dates post the here. Dates are especially important to find images before "naming" came in. Any info you remember would be cool too.

I'll try to track down the images.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Epic Eastern Storms

Sick Bird Rider
Vulcan was epic in many ways. Even the name was great: did you get "Vulcanized?"

I don't recall the exact date but it was in March 2014. Here's my story: http://jonnyjay.blogspot.ca/2014/03/vulcanized.html

Edit: March 12 was the day I drove through Vulcan to get to Vermont.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
only the pricks at The Weather Channel name winter storms...So it's all about dates and location..
What was epic in NY could have been a bust  in Vt  or visa a versa..The list could be a mile long..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The naming helps me find the data.

I'm most interested in storms that impacted NY VT and QC/ON. Realistically focusing on the history of NYSB, the last ten years.

Jason are you down on the NESIS scale too?  It's interesting to me as it takes population into account.

Peace and Love.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Oddly I can't find much on vulcan.  

I like using the NESIS maps as they are not forecasts but some approximation of reality.

They don't account for elevation, but they still let you know who was in the wheelhouse.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Kocin and Ucellenni are the authority when it comes to Eastern snow storms. They wrote the book..Which I have on my coffee table.

The NESIS Scale and table are perfect..They list all of the major storms...

https://bookstore.ametsoc.org/catalog/book/northeast-snowstorms-volume-i-overview-volume-ii-cases
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I always liked Kocin, he used to be on weather channel. What is he doing now? I never heard of Ucellenni.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Kocin is back with NWS..
He was too smart and not good looking enough for TWC
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
why does naming winter storms get mocked so much?  Makes it easy to refer to.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Because TWC names every freak'n winter time Low..

Tropical systems have a sustained wind criteria before they are named.. A run of the mill tropical depression gets a number..

What criteria would you use for a winter storm? You don't know snow amounts until after the fact , usually there is a rain/snow line..It's just makes no sense..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
JasonWx wrote
Because TWC names every freak'n winter time Low..

Tropical systems have a sustained wind criteria before they are named.. A run of the mill tropical depression gets a number..

What criteria would you use for a winter storm? You don't know snow amounts until after the fact , usually there is a rain/snow line..It's just makes no sense..
 What he said. Plus tropical storms have an eye and a defined rotating mass. Naming winter storms is just marketing. It has no meteorologic value.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I see what you guys mean. Makes sense now
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by JasonWx
What needs to happen to nix the winter storm naming thing is multiple weather companies need to have competing names and make it confusing. Everyone can agree on the tropical storm/hurricane naming convention, it isn't coming from a company using a name to drive its own increased viewership and imprints (and thus revenue). If TWC wants to name storms, then so should every other weather company as well... all with different names. That will fix it right quick.

The biggest winter storms will get their own names, any ways. Blizzard of 78? How about VDAY of 2007?

Though it is true, most big storms don't get those types of infamous remembrances. But I kinda like it like that... big winter storms that make me a happy skier happen far more often than dangerous hurricanes who's names are remembered for their horrific damage. A named snow storm takes out power and makes skiers happy for a day or two; who cares enough to bother with a name except to increase views and ratings and catch people's eyeballs on the click bait headlines.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I agree....but, I'm going to remember skiing Platty the day after Super Storm Stella last year for a long time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Plus it makes for fun blog titles like A Date with Stella.