Escape Velocity

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Escape Velocity

PeeTex
I work hard this time of year getting my bike legs back. I was out climbing a long hill - the one with the big chair, anyway - was getting buzzed by the early season black flys, not biting yet - just buzzing. If I can maintain a speed over 7mph they leave me alone - escape velocity. Today I was getting buzzed
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Escape Velocity

Z
Where are you getting buzzed by black flys?

It was 48 degrees in LP today.  Going to snow Monday night.  No black flies here for at least a month.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
mosquitos been moving slow at least twice this month at hardy road.   it's the new normal coach!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Where are you getting buzzed by black flys?

It was 48 degrees in LP today.  Going to snow Monday night.  No black flies here for at least a month.
Not sure they were black flys, but looked like them, little gnat like creatures. I was surprised because it might have been 50 with a slight breeze, however with the sun on the pavement the radiant heat made it warmer.
I think the BFs will be early this year but not last long.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Ticks are the worst I've ever seen in CNY. Brushed a dozen off my clothes on one jaunt and about half of that on another
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
skimore wrote
Ticks are the worst I've ever seen in CNY. Brushed a dozen off my clothes on one jaunt and about half of that on another
Yes they are, I usually don't have to frontline the Wife's cat this early in the year and we don't let her out much (skunks, foxes, owls, etc) but over the last 4 nights I have pulled 3 ticks off her. We frontlined her last night. Beginning to think twice about doing  a lot more hiking especially when the grasses get high. Never gotten lime disease yet but I have seen what it can do to people - particularly older people.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I think BFs usually come about a month after ice out, but the first batch aren't usually biters (not sure why, but probably something with their reproductive cycle).

I bet they'll be biting by mid-May this year.  There seems to be some correlation to late spring/early summer rainfall as to when they disappear.  The drier it is, the quicker they die off.

Personally I'm hoping to get in a couple trips before that happens.  They can be unbearable in the BC at their peak.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
skimore wrote
Yes they are, I usually don't have to frontline the Wife's cat this early in the year and we don't let her out much (skunks, foxes, owls, etc) but over the last 4 nights I have pulled 3 ticks off her. We frontlined her last night. Beginning to think twice about doing  a lot more hiking especially when the grasses get high. Never gotten lime disease yet but I have seen what it can do to people - particularly older people.
Since I've been using Geranium Rose oil last couple years I haven't had one attach to me. Only found on clothing.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It looks like your fly and fire season this year is going to be a doozy.

These are the problems that develop with a changing climate.

More bugs = more disease.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Since I've been using Geranium Rose oil last couple years I haven't had one attach to me. Only found on clothing.

do you smoke it or ingest?  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Shoot it
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Hoping this snow kills lots of those buggers that have hatched
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
I think BFs usually come about a month after ice out, but the first batch aren't usually biters (not sure why, but probably something with their reproductive cycle).

I bet they'll be biting by mid-May this year.  There seems to be some correlation to late spring/early summer rainfall as to when they disappear.  The drier it is, the quicker they die off.

Personally I'm hoping to get in a couple trips before that happens.  They can be unbearable in the BC at their peak.
I have always gone by the notion that blackfly season is Mother's Day to Father's Day, but the early spring this year has bumped them up, hopefully the end of the season will be cut back even shorter
The males hatch first and they usually just buzz you and are a general nuisance, the dreaded females are the ones that come out after about a week or so, and they suck your blood!
The females just started appearing and biting last weekend, but hopefully the hard frost last night will set them back a little.
Save the hiking for later in the season, biking at "Escape Velocity" is the best way to fend off those biting bitches
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
hiked into Pharaoh Lake on a 90 degree July day.  Deer flies were thick as spring Adirondack mud.  Ended up running on the way out with a cloud of them bastards chasing us!  Deer flies are the worse IMHO!  

the double sided blue tape does work as does placing a bracken fern upside down on your head.  they are drawn to blue and generally go to the highest point on a person...

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
So did you stop wearing the blue hat?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
SJ, or anyone for that matter -- I was always told that putting a dryer sheet under your hat would help keep them little things away....ever hear that before??
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
hiked into Pharaoh Lake on a 90 degree July day.  Deer flies were thick as spring Adirondack mud.  Ended up running on the way out with a cloud of them bastards chasing us!  Deer flies are the worse IMHO!  

the double sided blue tape does work as does placing a bracken fern upside down on your head.  they are drawn to blue and generally go to the highest point on a person...
The doubled sided tape works great for deer flies
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
So did you stop wearing the blue hat?
you are a blue hat! hahahahahahahahahahahha!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Why do you keep the fern in the pot?

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack