classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Evolution of Gore - Aerial Views

tBatt
This post was updated on .
When I was looking into the Elevation profiles from ADK Keith's thread I found this.. You can go back and look at earlier satellite images from Google Earth. There isn't a present one with Eagles Nest or the Ski Bowl/Hudson Chair, but I thought it was still pretty interesting stuff.

5/13/94. Notice the full coverage on Hawkeye and many others on the upper mountain. Bear Mountain has not yet been developed.

11/24/06. Bear is now developed and this was the first year that Ruby Run was open. Topridge was covered and if I remember right, they had skiing that weekend. I have a video that I posted on Dec 2nd, so if not when the picture was taken, skiing was definitely soon after. Nice springs bumps, I was skiing in a t-shirt.

9/5/2009. Burnt Ridge development, Echo and Sagamore are cut, the Village chair at the ski bowl is in place and a few trails are cut.

Just looked at the timeline on the history tab on their website... the most recent is before the 2008 season. I think it needs a little updating.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Evolution of Gore - Aerial Views

Adk Jeff
Cool pics Fuj.  The May '94 image reminds me how of how Gore used to finish out the season.  Often you couldn't ski all the way back down to the base on the last weekend of spring skiing, so you'd download on the ORG from the summit.  Pretty cool way to finish out the ski year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Adk Jeff wrote
Pretty cool way to finish out the ski year.
Agreed.

Also amazing to see how much manmade snow ends up in the trees.

In the second pic, Topridge looks 3 times as wide as it really is.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
In reply to this post by tBatt
Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing!
Reply | Threaded
|