Exaggerated Snowfall Totals. Cool or Uncool?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
71 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exaggerated Snowfall Totals. Cool or Uncool?

x10003q
Harvey wrote
So what is the verdict on exaggerated snowfall totals?
I think the numbers are basically accurate. Many times when driving by Belleayre on the way to Plattekill, it is not snowing at the bottom of the Belle access road and I can see all the trails up on the ridge. Once I get to the corner of Upper Meeker and Lower Meeker Rds near Plattekill it is snowing. Sometimes it has snowed all day at Platty and they have gained a 3"-5" snowfall and the other 3 are not reporting anything. Plattekill is closer to the lake effect snow and the natural direction of the bowl combined with the prevailing wind leads to bigger totals at Plattekill.

As mentioned, it really depends on where and how the snow is measured.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
RA, you totally Killed it on the whole last page of this thread!
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Ace
Ace wrote
    I'm not sure a handle tow works well without snow.  Maybe I am wrong.
Sorry for the drift, but I would just do a 3' wide strip of vinyl lattice, or if you wanted to get fancy, that slippery stuff they use on the landings of ski jumps in the summer. most of the time it would be covered, but for late season, it would always be there.

Actually, both of you guys are dumb pooters
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
RA, you totally Killed it on the whole last page of this thread!
Haha, thanks bud but seriously, we were just having a little fun with "what if" ski area  management situations. Pretty harmless and totally goofy but I'm a geek like that. Most of my suggestions or ideas are more of asking questions on here since you guys are clearly more familiar with these places. I'm not sure where or why Ace has decided to attack me on anything. It's kind of silly but whatever, it served as high quality boredom study therapy today.

Man I'm going nuts here trying to study! Ugh....
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
 I feel you. I was working on schoolwork literally all day too, and I needed something lighthearted. Just called it a day.
Ace
Reply | Threaded
|

Ace
RA I'm trying to recall what insults I have said to you?  Obviously nothing as terrible as stupid or semi retarded.  If that is what it takes to be considered killing it on the last page then I guess you win no doubt.  As for Gore, the slopes going to the upper mountain are south facing.  But, you obviously know that.  So I was asking how you could see that working out.  Since I'm semi retarded, I can't seem to figure out that one.  But, it must involve more waste of the taxpayer dollar.  

As for the original topic.  Belleayre has a little bit lower base elevation than Platty so I'm sure that plays into it as well.  I do agree that Platty seems to be more in line with the lake effect.  But, also if Belleayre is run so inefficiently, I highly doubt their measuring is very accurate or they have much incentive to exaggerate.  My guess would be Platty gets more.  Belle gets a little more than they record, closing the gap but, still get less than Platty.  But, what do I know, I'm semi retarded.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Ace, you may want to build some credibility on this forum (more than 10 posts over 3 months) before you start throwing insults at a hardcore veteran like RA.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
All aspects are represented on the upper mountain slopes circling around the top station of the gondola.

Claiming that all I know is smoking weed and jumping off rocks sure sounds like you are implying that I'm stupid.

I stand by what I said about being semi retarded. Toughen up buttercup.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Uncool and almost every place does it.  After a while you learn how to formulate approximate "discount" factors on the snow reports.  I'd say most come in at around 50-60% (on the actual slopes) of reported totals.  At Plattekill the day after Stella they reported 42" and I did a few measurements in different places (trailside or glades) and came up with 28"-36".  On the open slopes there was powder but it felt like maybe 16" or so - either blown off or highly wind compressed.  It definitely snowed over 3' total in that area and their measuring station must be in a spot that received a bit more.

The funny thing is that even though we know most places are lying we still fall for the latest reports LOL!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ace wrote
But, what do I know, I'm semi retarded.
Might be.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by onscott
onscott wrote
 At Plattekill the day after Stella they reported 42" and I did a few measurements in different places (trailside or glades) and came up with 28"-36".  On the open slopes there was powder but it felt like maybe 16" or so - either blown off or highly wind compressed.  It definitely snowed over 3' total in that area and their measuring station must be in a spot that received a bit more.
i was also there that day. 42 inches would be waist deep for my short ass. not quite. in certain spots my pole would not touch the ground, drifting i assumed. pictures say it all, that is what i enjoy most about this site. you see the photos and get first hand reports.snow reports are total bullshit. please add mnt snow to the top of that list.