classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exercise in a Corona Offseason

Harvey
Administrator
I'm pretty sure we're still allowed to go outside. Zelda and I have a great trail system that we can access without a car, and that's were we'll be, any day I can get out of work before dark.  Post your pics and tell your tales here.

Trail near the lake

Friendly horse at the horsefarm along the trail
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Exercise in a Corona Offseason

Peter Minde
Roller skiing is definitely social distancing.  Trail running is doable, but some of the places I like are a little too popular. Judging by the detritus nearby, this looks to be a mine entrance.  A site a few miles from my house, and I had the place to myself.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
This post was updated on .
I mountain bike often.  My favorite place closest to home is about a 10 min drive.  The parking lot has been crowded the last couple of weeks, like a busy holiday weekend. You can still easily keep your distance.  But, yesterday afternoon was just stupid crowded.  I turned around immediately and came back to our local woods where we do have a bunch of single track and some nice hills but it is not as big. However, even the local woods have been more crowded than usual but nothing like the bike park and it is still quite easy to keep your social distances.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Hey Peter
How flat a surface do you need for roller skiing? Is there different equipment depending on whether you’re on gravel or asphalt or grass? I think we need a rundown on this sport and the gear when you have an extra minute.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Brownski wrote
Hey Peter
How flat a surface do you need for roller skiing? Is there different equipment depending on whether you’re on gravel or asphalt or grass? I think we need a rundown on this sport and the gear when you have an extra minute.
I'm strictly on paved roads.  The newer the pavement, the better.  Jenex.com manufacture and sell a line of roller skis with large diameter inflatable tires that can be used on gravel / dirt roads, but they can be a hassle.  I had a pair, each time I tried to inflate the tires I'd get a flat.

Insofar as flat surfaces go, my main rollerski venue has hills.  Being that old bones don't mend too quick, I'm most circumspect about descending.  The hill  part is about knowing your terrain and your own comfort level.

Harv, if you're lurking, LMK if a full-on piece about roller skiing is appropriate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Is there any way to brake?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
6 day a week, I ride (horse) for 40 minutes before working from home.  Right now, we are only walking, but as soon as things dry up, we will add trotting.

My block 2.2 miles around, with a few good sized hills. I can run that at lunch time, 3 or 4 days a week.

My yoga studio and Cornell's wellness program all have online classes now, so those are back in my schedule. I am actually doing more yoga than I used to because I don't have travel time anymore. My shoulders are screaming from lots of forearm plank this morning.  

My dad and I have started meeting at a wildflower preserve on Sundays, and do a lazy mile or so.  I guess that I am very lucky that I live in the boonies, and it's easy to get outside and not run into a human.

I would love to hear more about roller skiing! How the heck do you stop?????

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Is there any way to brake?
LOL, prayer!!

Jenex offers optional speed reducers on some roller skis and they're quite good.  They're better than the brakes on my Woodskis.  Other than that, I snowplow like crazy, and I will traverse back and forth across the road if it's safe.  Speed reducers and brakes are NOT a panacea... still gotta know your terrain.  For instance, you won't catch me skiing the roller ski loop at Intervale ion Lake Placid.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I suck enough on cross country skis, now that I am back to downhill. I am not sure that I would do well on pavement!
WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
wonderpony wrote
I suck enough on cross country skis, now that I am back to downhill. I am not sure that I would do well on pavement!
WP
You might check out grass skiing, it's more alpine oriented.  The video is must-watch material. https://www.theskijournal.com/exclusive/grassholes/

Or this:  World Cup grass skiing  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ggarl8W_PM&feature=emb_rel_end