classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Favorite Lifts/Trails

snoloco
This post was updated on .
What are your favorite lifts that you have ridden and trails that you have skied?  Mine are below.

Favorite lift:  Cloudsplitter Gondola @ Whiteface.  Long, fast, lots of vertical, and amazing views.
2nd favorite lift:  Skyeship Gondola @ Killington.  Very long, fast, rarely a line at the 1st stage, 2nd stage serves some great high speed cruising runs.

Favorite trails:  Showcase, Quicksilver, Echo, Twister, Topridge, Sagamore, and Moxham @ Gore.
Excelsior, Paron's Run, Skyward, Hoyt's High, and the Wilmington Trail @ Whiteface.
Belt Parkway, Jimmie Huega Express, The Cliff, Eisenhower, Gun Hill Road, K27, Westway, Clair's Way, Annapurna, and Wayout @ Hunter
Great Eastern, Needles Eye, Cruise Control, Superstar, Skyeburst, Skyelark, High Road, and Bittersweet @ Killington
Wipeout, Whistler, Warpath, Wraparound, Why Not, Wicked, Wanderer, and Old Wolverine @ Windham
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Favorite Lifts/Trails

DackerDan
Favorite trail: The one with the best snow that day.
Favorite lift: The one that takes me to my favorite trail
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Favorite lifts?  I ski xc, the only time I rode a lift in recent memory was up to the start of the Stowe Derby.

Fave trails?  Porter Mountain at Mount van Hoevenberg comes first.  Second is probably the combined Trapp Family Lodge / Mt Mansfield xc trail system in VT.  Mount Mansfield is interesting because today's xc trails comprised much of their original alpine trail system back in the day.  Even now, you can ski there and see someone gliding by on a snowboard or alpine skis to the trail head, to get a shuttle to the lifts.  There's also a network of backcountry trails up high, especially connecting Trapp and Bolton. Wicked cool.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
Favorite lifts:

Gore Mountain High Peaks Chair
Plattekill Double
POMA 2 at Hickory
Single at Mad

Favorite Trails:

Gore: Moxham, Headwaters, Twister, Sunway, Dark Side Liftline
Plunge at Plattekill
Cathedral Brook at Belleayre
Solitude at Garnet Hill
Dreammaker at Killington
Middle Earth at Sugarbush
Antelope at Mad River Glen
Tuckerbrook at Mittersill
Upper/Middle Hard at Cannon
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey44 wrote
Favorite lifts:

Gore Mountain High Peaks Chair
Plattekill Double
POMA 2 at Hickory
Single at Mad

Favorite Trails:

Gore: Moxham, Headwaters, Twister, Sunway, Dark Side Liftline
Plunge at Plattekill
Solitude at Garnet Hill
Dreammaker at Killington
Middle Earth at Sugarbush
Antelope at Mad River Glen
Upper/Middle Hard at Cannon
Give it up for Platty making the list!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Lift: MRG Single Chair, Tram at Alyeska, Palmer Express at Timberline (Oregon), the double chair at Silverton, and I've never been there in the winter, but the Lone Peak Tram at Big Sky looks incredible.

Trails: Most of my favorite trails are not on maps, but I like Narrow Gauge at Sugarloaf and Skyward at WF as groomers. I like Tramline at Cannon, Middle Earth at Sugarbush, Liftline at Smugg's, Paradise (and all of its options) at MRG as Eastern skiing awesomeness. I like Outer Limits at K & Gunbarrel at Heavenly as quintessential bump runs. And, once again, I've only been there in the Summer, but I'd imagine that Corbett's Couloir in Jackson Hole has to be one of the best "trails" listed on maps.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Favorite lifts (in no particular order and off the top of my head):

East:
MRG : Chair 1 (The Single)
Stowe : Fourrunner Quad
Wildcat : The HSQ

West:
Whistler : Peak Chair
Mammoth : Chair 23
Big Sky : Lone Peak Tram
Jackson Hole : Tram

Alps:
Aiguille du Midi / Mt. Blanc : Tram
Val Thorens : Caron Tram
Courchevel : Tram

Andes:
Las Lenas : Marte Chair
Termas de Chillan : Don Otto Chair
Portillo : Roca Jack slipshot poma

Trails??? I had a hard time figuring out lifts; I give up for the trails.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The Gondola was a game changer for Whiteface but the Summit chair makes it what it is.  My fav trail is Upper Cloud.

Favorite lifts out west are

Tram - Snowbird - fav trail - Great Scott

High speed lift - Sundown Express at Steamboat that accesses some of the best tree skiing on the planet - FavTrails off that lift Shadows and Closet and 2:30 glade
Honorable Mention - Any of the lifts in the back bowls at Vail and Big Burn Express at Snowmass

Old and slow - Blackfoot Lift at Grand Targhee - very possibly the best powder access anywhere
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by snoloco

The Lone Peak Tram is about as cool as it gets (other than the smell). I'm also partial to the good ole' Darkside Chair.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Let's hear if for the KF and ZE. So fast, direct to the summit, and sick lines. You ADK guys are missing out.