Favorite Ski Towns?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Favorite Ski Towns?

raisingarizona
The Utah kids trip thread got me thinking about what are my favorite ski towns. There is nothing in Utah that fits that bill for me. Over the years my opinions on this have transformed a bit.

Out west I think I have to go with Crested Butte. It's incredibly beautiful but still rustic and rough around the edges. It still hasn't been completely been Aspenized.

My second pick would be Silverton. I love going there in the winter. The ski experience is anti-resort and the town is empty. It's pretty refreshing after spending so much time in places like Telluride and Jackson.

What about the east? I remember as a kid I loved Stowe but from what I have read it's very expensive now. I'm sure some of you will say Lake Placid, I have never been there but it looks solid. I imagine North Conway/Jackson in NH would be an east coast ski town but I wouldn't know. I would think that the town that sits next to Gore could be a really cool place, or it should be. Having a large ski area that drops right into a town is something unique in the east. You would think it's something that they could market if it was done right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Favorite Ski Towns?

PeeTex
I think you need to also describe your criteria for an awesome ski town. I am not into ski towns.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It doesn't matter, whatever you think or like. Most people probably would disagree with my opinion about Silverton. Some might say SLC or Park Shitty, I mean City.

So why are you not into ski towns? This sounds even more interesting.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
raisingarizona wrote
It doesn't matter, whatever you think or like. Most people probably would disagree with my opinion about Silverton. Some might say SLC or Park Shitty, I mean City.

For me, typical ski towns imply something that is a bit unnatural.  I would describe Park Shitty as a typical ski town.  I guess it depends on your lifestyle.  When my wife and I travel, we go for the mountain... and do not pay much attention to the town.  We are a childless couple.  Nightlife for us, is getting a good night's sleep in preparation for the next day on the mountain.  If your bringing a bunch of kids with you, or want to party, then obviously, your needs are a bit different.  I think it has a lot to do with your social preferences.  We don't like a lot of people, so crowded towns are a big turn-off.

When I lived back East, my wife and I spent a lot of time at Gore.  For me, the North Creek area seemed really cool.  In VT, Bolton was our favorite mountain.  We had friends that lived in Montpelier.  I suppose you would not consider Montpelier a ski town as it took about an hour to get to the mountain.  Nonetheless, Montpelier is a pretty sweet spot in VT.  Out here in the NW, Rosland, Revelstoke, and Fernie in BC, Sandpoint ID, have been our favorites.  All 4 are very quiet, but have enough to offer if you are seeking a low key ski town experience.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
jackson hole for sure is really cool
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
For me a ski town is a real town that is close to good skiing.  Required are snowfall, mountains and trees. Warm welcoming locals and state land are key.

I could care less about night life. If one good restaurant is open until 10pm that's fine.

I choose North Creek, NY.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
North Creek has a good restaurant for dinner?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I don't need a town, I don't need night life. I just need a good hill with lots of snow. I don't even need a ski lift.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
For me a ski town is a real town that is close to good skiing.  Required are snowfall, mountains and trees. Warm welcoming locals and state land are key.

I could care less about night life. If one good restaurant is open until 10pm that's fine.

I choose North Creek, NY.
Have you been to Silverton Harvey?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
jackson hole for sure is really cool
You mean Jackson, WY? Or Teton Village, WY?

I guess if I had tons of money, my favorite ski town would have a lift that came right from town. So, Park City, Telluride, Whistler, Aspen, etc. I like the concept of walking or biking to the lift from my house. And watching people ski down at the end of the day from my rooftop hot tub.

But, in reality, I guess I'd choose a quality town with lots of fun activities (including skiing) about 5-30 minutes from a ski hill. This would include places like Crested Butte, Flagstaff, Truckee, and Silverton, but also bigger, well established towns like Bend, Bozeman and Durango (as well as eastern towns like LP, North Conway, and Stowe).

Bar Vino is good in North Creek.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My favorite ski town is Virgil NY
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Placid , North Conway NH , Quebec City ,Stowe in that Order
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Lake Placid, Waitsfield VT.
Reply | Threaded
|

noip
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
seattle
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Anything that is opposite Killington.......such a crap town.    

Yes, Silverton is great but really, really small.   I fear it could become a one season wonder.    Everyone knows your business, if your not in--your out.    

In country--I would suggest Telluride base village.   I could live there.    

World:   Banff, Ca  for the Western Hem.     Chamonix, Fr -Europe    
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
I am sure there are better ones out there, but of the places I have been the towns I enjoyed the most were:
Zermatt - skiing from bar to bar is pretty sweet
Whistler - lots of good food and drink within a short walk of the lift
Lake Placid - home of the greatest moment in american sports history and lots of good cool places to stay, eat, drink and shop
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
SnowSnake wrote
I am sure there are better ones out there, but of the places I have been the towns I enjoyed the most were:
Zermatt - skiing from bar to bar is pretty sweet
Whistler - lots of good food and drink within a short walk of the lift
Lake Placid - home of the greatest moment in american sports history and lots of good cool places to stay, eat, drink and shop
I have only hung out at Whistler during the summer but it seemed like a very fun town. The big difference that I noticed was the ratio of men to woman was much more even than most ski towns. That is a huge factor in a places overall quality of life imo.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Whistler: it's raining men!

North Creek, Franconia.  Someplace realistically boring is fine with me.