classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Film Festivals

Skiray
Hey guys,
Alicia and I were thinking of submitting a couple of our edits to some film festivals and I have two questions or rather three for you..

1) Is our stuff good enough?  We would submit under documentary or adventure topics.
2) If our stuff is good enough? If you have seen our edits, which would you pick?  I am partial to Peaceful Valley but, I am not sure if that is what people will like (maybe too long).
3) Do you know of any film festivals? We have a list from FilmFreeway but, feel it is better to ask the group as some of you may have experienced some of these events.

Anyway, we hope you are all enjoying summer.. We have yet to do anything exciting, though we did travel to Maine and that was wonderful. Also, been working back and forth in London (UK) - hoping to bring my family there this summer too.

Thanks again,

SkiRay
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Film Festivals

Johnnyonthespot
Good stuff. I like Peaceful Valley, but give me some time to watch them all.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Good stuff. I like Peaceful Valley, but give me some time to watch them all.
Thanks..

I realized I asked the 1st question twice..  :)

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Skiray
I think they're good enough for sure. Not sure I can pick one as the best though, the end of season probably... I think there are some festivals dedicated to outdoors/ sports films. Have you looked into where you want to submit it?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I like the wind in the begining. Ever heard of the Jezabels? You might like some of their songs.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
I think they're good enough for sure. Not sure I can pick one as the best though, the end of season probably... I think there are some festivals dedicated to outdoors/ sports films. Have you looked into where you want to submit it?
Thanks. Well I think we will do some of the smaller ones. There is one in NY Albany region coming up soon that we will probably submit too - though the week of the screening, I might have to be back in London.  

We looked at the 5 points film festival - some stiff competition there but, for us, it is more about getting a few eyeballs on our stuff for critiquing and so we can get better at this.  

If our stuff is submitted somewhere - we will for sure let the group know but, glad that you think our stuff is worthy enough to enter a film festival.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I like the wind in the begining. Ever heard of the Jezabels? You might like some of their songs.
That was the wife and I collaborating on ideas.. We have other video intros for sailing and biking where we thought of what the common sound would be. For sailing, it was the lanyards in the wind and hitting the mast and cycling, obvious to us was the freewheel coasting and a bell.  Sort of a branding idea.

I like the Jezabels. The issue I have had with most music, securing rights is a pain in the neck. I have a few videos that use what I thought was commercially OK (even though I make NO money at this) and we have gotten cease and desist.. Even when the music was in the background and not played by any of us.

R

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote
Is our stuff is good enough? If you have seen our edits, which would you pick?  I am partial to Peaceful Valley but, I am not sure if that is what people will like (maybe too long).
I'm partial to Peaceful Valley as well, but go with what you feel is your best work.  I'm impressed by all of your videos.  Keep us posted...
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
@ Skiray.  I haven't watched all your vids, and I don't have time to: i'm studying for a new certification.  Based on what I've seen, you definitely have the chops to submit to a festival.  Go for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Well, we just submitted "Peaceful Valley" to a few Film Festivals! Look for us, the Maine Outdoor Film Festival, NYC Short Film Festival, and DC Adventure Film Festival - all coming soon!

If you have not seen "Peaceful Valley" - maybe take a look now as it might help you cool off from the summer heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JS6AMB4Bw

There are few others too we will be submitting too - thinking there is one up in Saratoga and the Albany area as well. I will keep you all posted. Who knows, maybe it might get noticed...

Thanks guys..

Ray

AlbaAdventures.com