Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fire at Mid on WF

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
JohnIrvingwrestles wrote
I’m with Z on that one....
You liked stumbling down that stupid staircase and trying to get through that skinny hall to get to an ill configured bathroom that doubled as an entrance to a restaurant?

I don't

MC2 5678F589 wrote
JohnIrvingwrestles wrote

The top was okay, I guess, but there could have been better deck space, better seating, a better laid out food line, and better access from the mountain (entrance just opened right into a bunch of tables so you felt like you were fighting over people from the start).

They'll replace it with something better and everyone here will be happier for it.
Agree
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I tend to agree with Camp.  It's the in-between rippers, sitting mountainside on a morning, coffee in hand, 360 degree view that I enjoy more than most things in life.  The venue itself was ehh.

What will really suck is the length of time it will take to get to a truly finished product.  I give it to late December 2022, and only that short because of the university games.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
With all the new building materials can you imagine the deck they could put on. That view is forever there to begin with.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I heard that some of the ORDA board members want to chopper the Saddle Lodge over from Gore as a replacement for  this season. Then, next summer, they will chopper it back and replace it with the new Mt Van Hove Lodge.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Just get the old Bear Mountain patrol trailer from Gore, drag it up with a groomer, slap some T-111 on it.......call it good for 7-8 years.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Doesn't gore have an extra yurt somewhere down there?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
For this season a deck and some picnic tables over on the low side opposite from the burnt up deck along the tree line with a yurt would work.  Should be doable without a big expense.

Pretty sure the powers that be want to not have locals pinicing in the new lodge so that deck and yurt could remain as a locals hang out after the lodge gets rebuilt.  Based on how they turned the bar into a restaurant I would expect to see something very different replace it.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Perhaps for this year they can make a big pile of snow overtop of the carnage, and place a temporary deck with a bunch of lounge chairs, and possibly even a fire pit? Maybe a space for Grillman and others to grill. Maybe even some sort of memorial.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Ethan Snow wrote
and possibly even a fire pit?
That would be "ironical."
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ironically, there used to be a fire pit at mid.  It was there for years until the roof was replaced, the fire inspector came up and made them shut it down.  Then there was a gas fireplace that no-one working inside of the lodge could figure out how to turn on.

I hope that they come up with something.  A deck, a yurt, i will bring my grill.  I will grill for friends, family and strangers.  There are a few that i will never grill for again.  

Thanks for those of you who did not instantly blame me for causing the fire and for those of you who did not ask on social media if I left by grill burning on the mountain that night.  A stupid question during a terrible time.

If you did post such a question on social media,  fuck you.

A terrible tragedy occurred.   If you posted something stupid, You are an total asshole.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Grillman wrote
There are a few that i will never grill for again.  
Now those are the stories I’d like to hear!

When I showed my boys the news and photo that night their first thought was of Grillman.  No, not that he had anything to do with the fire......but what would he do now  without the mid lodge!

As for the loss of the mid lodge, it’s always unfortunate to see something lost.  However, I agree that in the long run WF will be better off, having a much more adequate and modern mid lodge in the future.

If that mid lodge includes a decent bar you won’t find me complaining...
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Doesn't gore have an extra yurt somewhere down there?
No, but they do have about a dozen outhouses they’d be glad to contribute.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589

MC2 5678F589 wrote
JohnIrvingwrestles wrote
You liked stumbling down that stupid staircase and trying to get through that skinny hall to get to an ill configured bathroom that doubled as an entrance to a restaurant?

Some lodges have character, but they tried to redo the base of the WF midstation lodge so many times, there was never any way that it could develop into anything good. Boule's Bistro shit.

The top was okay, I guess, but there could have been better deck space, better seating, a better laid out food line, and better access from the mountain (entrance just opened right into a bunch of tables so you felt like you were fighting over people from the start).

They'll replace it with something better and everyone here will be happier for it.
Just like the new Yankee stadium or Times Square , it’ll be shiny, clean, spacious, and mostly beautiful But the character and ghosts of past memories will be replaced with expensive merch.  Just a function of getting older and feeling nostalgia..... I’m sure the kids will love it though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Grillman
Grillman wrote
Thanks for those of you who did not instantly blame me for causing the fire and for those of you who did not ask on social media if I left by grill burning on the mountain that night.  A stupid question during a terrible time.
I was stunned by this too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Grillman
It was an attempt at humor. Apparently not funny.  I admit to being not the most PC guy on the internet.   I already apologized to you and fixed it.  Others I talked to on here clearly thought it was a joke not an accusation.  The fire started 5 plus hours after the ski day ended.  How could anyone see that as any kind of logical connection?

Honestly I think you are one of the people that will miss mid the most so I’m sorry for your loss.  You will be part of my fond memories of Mid.

That you are still pissed 3 days later I just don’t get.  Your are good guy and I like and respect you.  Again I’m sorry
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Hopefully feathers will fall back in place - the Internet amplifies emotions. I met Grillman once on my way through mid several years ago, he was nice enough to offer me some of his product but I declined. We had a few friendly words and I thanked him for his generosity. I doubt that good of a person can stay angry at someone very long.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That looks sweet.
Hopefully NYS will use local contractor's whenever possible.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Not sure about the artist rendering that shows a fire pit in the middle of
Lower Valley but otherwise it looks good with some style of the original

If it’s bigger that might make it pretty narrow on the mt run side.  It can’t grow the other way as the Face Lift is there.

Maybe the widen out the trail on the Mt Run side by cutting back the trees about 30 yards.  That would make it a bit wider.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
According to the approved UMP, mid will be moved to skipper's right, by Calamity Lane and Lower Thruway.  If this is where it ends up being built, I hope they put a stand of trees around where mid is now.  Less snowmaking needed and would cut down on wind.