First time family trip to Hunter - advice wanted

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

First time family trip to Hunter - advice wanted

DomB
Hello all!  Reaching out to this awesome group for tips on first-time trips to Hunter.  What advice would you give to a group of largely intermediates?  What lifts/trails would you recommend in that situation?  Any of them good for hiding from crowds (though that may not be an issue at this point in the season).  Any trails to avoid (I am thinking Belt any time after 10 am).

Obviously, folks should get there early before everything is skied off, but that is pretty much all I can recommend cold.  More details below.  

A family we have skied with the past two Xmas's is likely going to Hunter next Sunday, as we have been pitching Epic local as a potential option next year.  We may end up joining them.  

Of the eight going, I am the only one who has skied Hunter; however, that was only 2x, probably over five years ago and just as I was getting bit by the ski bug.  I remember Belt Pkwy being a nightmare because folks would go to that after they did a few runs on the bunny slope (and as it was the only blue from the top).  Other than my son and I, the group is straight intermediates.  Most of the group is pretty adventurous, but my wife less so.  

Thanks in advance.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: First time family trip to Hunter - advice wanted

NYSnowflake
This post was updated on .
Depending on the conditions on that particular day you might try to park on the north/west side and ski the blue runs over there such as Way Out, Rips Return, etc. Or you could take the lift to the summit and take Belt to the north/west side (Way In trail) and ski those blue runs off the Northern Express lift. Those blues are pretty challenging but they are less crowded than belt. Hopefully these folks can control their speed, and will take their time not bomb down these dark blue runs. Some people have died on those blue runs in speed related out of control injuries. Otherwise, you could take the main face B -lift to mid-mountain and ski the lower mountain blue runs such as Madison, Kennedy Drive, and Gun Hill Rd. on the main face.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Go to Platty instead
Cheaper and way less crowded
You couldn’t pay me to ski at Huntah
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Z wrote
Go to Platty instead
Probably not helpful for somebody considering an Epic Pass, Z, but obviously I agree with the Plattekill sentiment generally. I haven’t skied Hunter in a few years but my advice would be to explore the lifts and trails over to lookers’ left on the lower elevation, east side of the main mountain. Lots of blues and greens over there. The desire to go to the top too soon can lead you astray some times.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Brownski wrote
Z wrote
Go to Platty instead
Probably not helpful for somebody considering an Epic Pass, Z, but obviously I agree with the Plattekill sentiment generally. I haven’t skied Hunter in a few years but my advice would be to explore the lifts and trails over to lookers’ left on the lower elevation, east side of the main mountain. Lots of blues and greens over there. The desire to go to the top too soon can lead you astray some times.
Thanks for the on-point advice Brownski.  Correct - while I agree that Platty is an awesome mountain (probably the best in the Cats), this is a scouting trip for my diligence on the Epic Local.  My wife won't get on board for Platty; that's life.  If that is my biggest problem, all good.

Also, thank you for the note snowflake - love your stoke.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
Dom
I have not Skiied Hunter since maybe close to 10 years. I don't think it good for internets
Wait to spring conditions pop up.
Yes March should be less crowded then mid season. Enjoy
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by DomB
Dom

This my 41 season at Hunta..My main advise is get there early..Yes the Belt can look like the beach at Normandy around 10am ..That said, crowds won't be that bad on a Sunday in March..
Have fun..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
 I have come late to this post but anyway, I know there is a lot of dislike for Hunter here, and there is always a push for Platty. Platty is great, but to say it is intermediate friendly on any given day, especially for a mixed ability  group is a little misleading. Hunter recently updated White Cloud from the top and it is a great intermediate trail. I take my Grandchildren on it and they love it. Belt Parkway does get overloaded, but if you get there early [9-10am] it is a good intermediate trail, long forgiving and very ski-able, But the real secret to Hunter , even on the weekends is that the single diamonds on the main face are not that hard, Hellgate is wide and only has a steep pitch at the top, get down that part and it is almost a Western trail , link it with Madison , a great short intermediate or Gun Hill road, sort of hidden from traffic and you have a good run. Minya and East Side are also pretty much intermediates except for some tight skiing right at the top of the trails. If the snow is decent all the runs off the North side are ok for good intermediates. But and this is important, you need to get out early,hit the main face, if the snow is ok and you are confident go to the North Side round 10:30, all the trails on the North Side black diamopnd or blue are ok for a good intermediate, get lunch early round 11:30 back noon to 1-1:30  Mainface again,then hit the bar, with the fast lifts that is a day of skiing , or if you are lucky like me go during the week , Hunter is as good as anywhere mid week. Much love to Platty but enough with the Hunter hate, it isn't the place it was twenty years ago, and the crowds only bespeak of a place people want to ski.