classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

First trip to Platty 3/2/13

njadk
First trip report...here it goes.

Got to the mountain before 8AM and hopped the 2nd chair on the Triple yesterday morning. Both lifts were ski on all day. Spent a good amount on both parts of the mountain. I've never spent a day skiing solo on any mountain, but it allowed me to go at my own pace and not wait for snowboarding friends to take their sweet time getting down the hill. Warmed up with Powderpuff and a few runs on Sundown. Thought about Chute, but I thought I'd work up the courage to tackle a more narrow trail after a few more challenging runs.

2nd run on Sundown, maybe 9AM.

Coverage was great all around the triple chair. Skied Upper Face a few times while patrol was setting up for the race. Had to wait for the cloud cover to lift before I could snap this picture.

Went inside around 10AM to grab a bite to eat and check out the lodge. Had a nice chat with John B. from the ski patrol. Went back out determined to check out the double.

They were having some problems with the double chair- at one point I was stuck for 5 or 10 minutes, and later on went back to the triple chair. Coverage was thinner on some of the narrower trails off the double (i.e. Twist), but with some of those trails getting little action, it wasn't a problem. After a few runs, I headed back over to the Triple. Found my match there with Chute. I'm used to the wide open trails of the Poconos, and with no glade experience under my belt, I took my time heading down the trail. Nobody else was on it, and I saw few tracks even though the mountain had been open for a few hours by then.

After lunch (Founders Breakfast Stout on tap upstairs!!!!), went out for a few more runs on the double. Northface was the run of the day for me. I could count on two hands how many people I saw on both the upper and lower parts all day. Snow was great, even in the middle of the trail.

Halfway down Northface. Couldn't get a good picture from the top of the trail.

Anyone know about this old lift at the top of Northface? I remember reading somewhere that Plattekill bought some old equipment from Tupper awhile back. Wondering if the double lift was one of those pieces of equipment...

Headed home around 1PM. Had a three hour drive home, and I felt like I got more than my money's worth. Wish I could have stayed for the BBQ. The mountain reminded me a lot of my Big Tupper experience last year. I never once got the impression from any skiers or employees that Plattekill existed solely as a big money operation. Everyone I saw was there simply because they wanted to be on the slopes. Even had a nice chat with the parking lot attendant as I was leaving- he seemed genuinely happy that I enjoyed myself. I left feeling like I was part of a family. Already thinking about a return trip next season.

Al
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: First trip to Platty 3/2/13

denvervega
Don't wait until next season, St. Plattys Day is coming up! The old lift is the top of the old t-bar. You must have had a chat w/ Sam in the parking lot. He starts and ends our wknd. w/ a handshake and a smile. Whatever they pay him, it isn't enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'm skiing Plattekill on Sunday, happy to get in a few runs with you if you're around. Definitely praying for snow this week. I can't believe I missed this weekend, the mountain looks incredible.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by njadk
Love this pic:

njadk wrote
That old lift terminus is from one of the original Tbars. Plattekill was run on surface lifts for years before the chairs were put in. Maybe someone (X? NELSAP?) who knows more can give details on the history of the Tbars.

njadk wrote
After hearing all the raves about Plattekill, I thought it was time I make the trip.
NJ... this site is a labor of love for me and also a hell of a lot of work.  When somebody, lurks, joins, posts and then skis a gem like Plattekill for the first time... well if any part of that decision was influenced by nyskiblog.com... that makes it worth every bit of the effort.

Thanks for posting.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Glad you had a good day. Platty was skiing smooth, strong and awesome all weekend, like an old GM muscle car runnng on all 8 cylinders and feeling the added torque of the 4 barrel carb opening up.  You forgot to mention that it started snowing at noon on Saturday and pretty much continued through to the time we left...about 4:45 on Sunday.  I just finished dinner after driving home and all I am thinking about is getting back there on Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

nelsap
About the lifts...the T-bar on the North face was put in before 1963...I have a trail map from 1963 that shows the T-bar:

Plattekill 1963

Note on the right, the novice area was at the bottom of what is now the triple area (triple installed 1974). There were two rope tows over there as well.

Hope that helps a little,

JD
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

njadk
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by denvervega
Thanks for the info on the T-bars. Always like to learn about the mountains, past and present.

Wish I could make it for St. Platty's Day. It sadly may be time for me to put the skis away for the season, unless Gore stays open until Easter. Unfortunately I've got gigs pretty much every weekend from here until then(there are occasional downsides to choosing a career in music). I didn't catch the guy's name in the parking lot, but handshake and a smile, that was certainly him!

Harvey44 wrote
...if any part of that decision was influenced by nyskiblog.com... that makes it worth every bit of the effort.
Harvey- this site gets 100% of the credit for my visit. I had never heard of Plattekill Mtn. until I started reading your blog. Keep up the great work!

Al
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Great report. Thanks to Nelsap for the great image of the old Plattekill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
njadk wrote
First trip report...here it goes.

....I never once got the impression from any skiers or employees that Plattekill existed solely as a big money operation. Everyone I saw was there simply because they wanted to be on the slopes. Even had a nice chat with the parking lot attendant as I was leaving- he seemed genuinely happy that I enjoyed myself. I left feeling like I was part of a family. Already thinking about a return trip next season.

Al
denvervega wrote
Don't wait until next season, St. Plattys Day is coming up! The old lift is the top of the old t-bar. You must have had a chat w/ Sam in the parking lot. He starts and ends our wknd. w/ a handshake and a smile. Whatever they pay him, it isn't enough.
From Today's Blog on the Platty Website:

http://plattekill.com/mountain-info/stories/blog/item/64-sam-boice

I always stop and have a few words with Sam. :)