classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fischer RC4 130 Vacuum

campgottagopee
On order!!

Yesterday's weather was not ski weather, so the next best thing??? Head to Cayuga Ski and Cycle to look for Intuition liners for my old beat Lange 120's. Jeff @ Cayuga Ski and Cycle is a real pro, the man totally knows his shit. By comparison, I can tell you I've never been fitted for a pair of boots as professionaly as what Jeff did. He took all the time needed to answer all my questions and explained everything in great detail. As stated, I went over there looking for new liners. Come to find out, Jeff was one of two dudes who designed actaully designed Intuition liners, that told me something right there, this guy is the real deal. After a lenghthy discussion of both pro's and con's of adding a new liner to my old boot I inquired about what new boot he might suggest for me. Without any hesitation he reccomended the Fischer RC4 130's ----- these things are 100% totally fit/molded to your foot, both shell and liner are heated and molded to your exact liking. In fact, they can be molded over and over in the event the first molding (after skiing them) isn't up to your liking. Oh, and, uhm, he does custom footbeds too. He didn't have my size in stock but the will be here for next week. Jeff told me to plan on at least an hour for proper fitting. With any luck I'll have them on the hill sometime next week. Totally psyched to try these babys out

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fischer RC4 130 Vacuum

Snowballs
Banned User
I've been skiing Fischer boots for some years now. Absolutely love the Soma aspect. I  don't know how many other manufactures have some degree of it, but I'm sold it gives more stability.

An example, Say you're skiing along and all of a sudden you hit wet snow from a gun. This results in a quick face plant. Usually there's several people lying on the ground. With Soma boots, I don't fall in this situation. Yea my skis slow down real quick, but because of the Soma foot position, I don't fall. People laying on the ground have several times all gave me the perplexed " how'd he do that ? " look as I ski on by. Soma.

You're gonna love them Camp.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Snowballs wrote
I've been skiing Fischer boots for some years now. Absolutely love the Soma aspect. I  don't know how many other manufactures have some degree of it, but I'm sold it gives more stability.

I don't know either, but like you, I'm sold on the idea of molding the shell and liner. Not sure about stability as I haven't skied them yet, but they have to transfer energy more efficiently.

Snowballs wrote

An example, Say you're skiing along and all of a sudden you hit wet snow from a gun. This results in a quick face plant. Usually there's several people lying on the ground. With Soma boots, I don't fall in this situation. Yea my skis slow down real quick, but because of the Soma foot position, I don't fall. People laying on the ground have several times all gave me the perplexed " how'd he do that ? " look as I ski on by. Soma.

Uhm, given this scenario I've never fallen in any of my Langes --- I tend to ski with my head up and see that kinda stuff a mile away

Snowballs wrote

You're gonna love them Camp.
I think so too. After I purchased them I started doing research on the intrawebz --- can't find a bad review on them anywhere. That said, everyone's different and proof is in the puddin'. I'll ski them late next week and post up what my thoughts are.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Bump.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Getting fitted tomorrow!!! Should have them on the snow this sunday. Pretty stoked to try them out.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Fitting done. The entire process, to me, was very interesting and took about 1.5 hrs (including the BO footbeds). I could try and tell you about it but here's a vid that shows the entire process. No clue why they call it vacuum because there's no vacuum used. Guess vacuum sounds better than blow bag.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Let us know how it goes on snow.

130 seems like a crazy stiff flex for a boot (although I suspect that manufacturers are inflating that number to appeal to a bunch of wannabes who couldn't flex an actual 130 boot to save their lives).
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Camp's a big guy. He'll flex them.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Let us know how it goes on snow.

130 seems like a crazy stiff flex for a boot (although I suspect that manufacturers are inflating that number to appeal to a bunch of wannabes who couldn't flex an actual 130 boot to save their lives).
That was one of my questions too. I was in a 120 Lange and really liked that flex. I was told this "130" would be more in line w/ my 120 Lange. Even if it is a bit stiffer, I'm okay w/ that. Unless it's single digit temps, at 240lbs I don't have an issue flexing my boots, and actually prefer them to feel like bricks. Maybe it's the old school in me but I can't stand some of these new boots that feel like mush. Granted I've never skied one, maybe if I did I'd change my mind, but I doubt it.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
So the shell and liner are customizable.  What about the footbed that is included with the boot?  Do you need to upgrade them?  I'd love a custom shell/liner combination, but without the right arch support the boot may still not fit optimally.  In fact, I'd guess that the footbed fit would be just as important as the liner.  BTW, what is actual cost of these boots?  Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
CMR wrote
   What about the footbed that is included with the boot?    
It's junk just like every other stock footbed that comes with a pair of boots. Funniest line Jeff had was when he pulled my old liners and bed out of my old boots was, "Yea, we used to that kinda crap 30yrs ago". I had wedges, lifts, etc, etc, duct taped all over the place. I went with BD 3D footbeds and heel cup ----- here is the process.

CMR wrote
 BTW, what is actual cost of these boots?  Thanks.
I was sent over to Jeff at Cayuga Ski & Cycle by a mutual friend of ours, so I'd rather not discuss what I paid. The footbeds were $140.00 (no deal on those). The boots retail for $899, and IMO, for a ten year investment well worth the money. I'll need to go back in a year or two for new liners, either and Inuition or BD Liner, because the stock liner will get played out in about that time period.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
You'll have to sell quite a few duck call's for those boots camp!  Please let us know how they turn out.  I'm probably getting new boots next year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
CMR wrote
 You'll have to sell quite a few duck call's for those boots camp!
Don't be so daffy. You quack me up !

IT'S DUCK SEASON !!!

(see below)
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Made ya gander.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
You'll have to sell quite a few duck call's for those boots camp!  .

They aint cheap that's fer sure

CMR wrote
  Please let us know how they turn out.  
will do
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Without even skiing them I can tell the diff in alignment --- pretty cool

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Wow! THAT is a difference ,  it has got to make a huge diff
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
warp daddy wrote
Wow! THAT is a difference ,  it has got to make a huge diff
No jokin there --- can you say bow legged!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
First take on these:

Conditions skied in --- 3 degrees, sunny bluebird morning, and no wind

Pros:

*Lightweight, like no other boot I've ever had
*Go on like slippers
*Amazing feel for the ski undernath your foot, can actually feel the ski flex. No other boots has given me that.
*VERY quick transfer of energy, you can be on edge in an instant. Great feed back to the skier.
*Excellent natural/athletic stance
*Fit is damn near perfect right off the get go. Need to fiddle with buckles to get it right. Too cold to mess with yesterday.
*Flex is perfect for me. Very close to my old Lange, maybe a touch stiffer, maybe.
Cons:

*Pricey
*Bite a little getting them off (that's a stretch but needed one other con other than the price)

That said, I totally love skiing in these boots, very playful. I feel it necessary to point out that my fitter, Jeff, totally knows what he is doing and is a true pro. My guess is at least 50% of my success w/ these boots are because of his expertise in fitting them.

Final comment --- this was money well spent for me. They're expensive but well worth it imo.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Nice !!! Glad u got what u expected, ...performance AND comfort is a rare commodity . Happy trails C man !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.