20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Forums are Dead.

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Part of the reason it's taking so long to convert the forum to something more reasonable is because forums are dead.  At least that is what my developer is telling me.  They have been replaced by Facebook and Reddit.

BBPress is my choice to replace Nabble primarily because it is a product of WordPress. My developer knows it and can customize it more easily. He's a WordPress stud.

Out of the box BBPress is missing some core functionality that I think is important. For one thing you can't upload images, you can only display images uploaded elsewhere with [IMG] tags. That seems like a PITA for uploading TRs etc. Also it has no smilies!

Regardless of the life or death issue, I'm plugging ahead anyway.  Facebook is ok but I have so much more fun here. Hopefully we get it done before the internet is replaced by virtual reality.

Maybe instead of avatars we'll have toe tags.

Thanks to all for the effort put in here at the morgue.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Forums are Dead.

campgottagopee
To hell with FakeBook --- I'm with you in that this place is too much fun to let it go

Harvey wrote

Thanks to all for the effort put in here at the morgue.
Total LOL from me
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Ditto what Campy says , FB is for a different purpose , THIS here is for fun with like minded people who sometimes  disagree .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Agreeing with campy.  
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I prefer the forums.  Where I work people don't know about the ski blog, so I can have it onscreen much more discreetly than FB.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
D.B. Cooper wrote
I prefer the forums.  Where I work people don't know about the ski blog, so I can have it onscreen much more discreetly than FB.
+1

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
same, facebook has a stigma attached it.  People can read the news all morning but if somebody sees facebook..
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Somebody suggested that I remove the skier image from the top to make NYSB more work friendly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I'm not on FB. Does that mean I am double dead?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Betty White:

“I really have to thank Facebook. When I first heard about the campaign to get me to host Saturday Night Live, I didn’t know what facebook was and now that I do know what it is, I have to say it sounds like a huge waste of time.”
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I like the forum.  It's fast and easy to get to what I want to read.  One of the other forums I used to be on changed to a FB group. It doesn't have the same feel.  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Forums are not dead, just evolving.  I know a few ski forums that are doing just fine.  Although I can easily imagine that the choices for software may be more limited than in the past.

I hate the Facebook interface.  On there for specific Closed Groups that migrated there from Yahoo! Groups.  Also because ski resorts update their FB Pages for conditions more than any website.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
While there are those out there who do think so, I was being a bit facetious. I'm newly optimistic that the database will come over ok and our new software will be a good improvement.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Forums feel safer and more private than facebook even though they really aren't but I know my coworkers aren't lurking on ski forums.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I'm newly optimistic that the database will come over ok and our new software will be a good improvement.
Where do you stand on this issue now and do you have a ballpark ETA?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

WHOA!!

It's Friday the 13th and Jamesdeluxe posts in the OT ---- run for the hills!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
No.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Jamesdeluxe posts in the OT ---- run for the hills!!!!
I lurk occasionally but try to keep in mind the old "Arguing on the internet is like wrestling with a pig -- you get dirty and the pig likes it" truism. Coming up to CNY this weekend and... crap weather, not worth skiing or mtb.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Jamesdeluxe wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Jamesdeluxe posts in the OT ---- run for the hills!!!!
I lurk occasionally but try to keep in mind the old "Arguing on the internet is like wrestling with a pig -- you get dirty and the pig likes it" truism. Coming up to CNY this weekend and... crap weather, not worth skiing or mtb.
That's true --- I enjoy the group dynamics of it all too much to pass it up. Pure Gold I tell ya

Yea, it's gonna be gawd awful. At least there are some good breweries/eats around to make it some better. Enjoy your time.