Frame Touring Bindings

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Frame Touring Bindings

LightCahill
A few weeks ago I missed out on a morning at Mt. Ellen due to wind (previous day had to walk up to Castle Rock, still an awesome day).

Before I pulled out, people were setting up skins to hike the mountain.

Does anyone use frame bindings that work with any old boot for uphill and aggressive downhill?  I love to XC ski off piste/woods, and I figure this will provide a back up plan to wind hold at the mountain and get into more back country.

Appreciate any advice or recommendations.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Frame Touring Bindings

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
A pair of Marker Barons was my first foray into the AT world.  A beefy ISO 5355 DIN binding to go with any alpine ski boot, suitable for resort skiing that can double as a touring set, which for me at the time was mostly sidecountry.  It’s a good compromise.  I added a set of tech bindings and AT boots when I started doing longer backcountry tours, where weight becomes more of an issue.

Frame bindings are a particularly good choice for skinning to inbounds terrain, as tech bindings can get finicky on groomed hardpack and ice.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
JTG4eva! wrote
tech bindings can get finicky on groomed hardpack and ice.
I'll second that. Tech bindings and a walkable AT boot just don't have the edge bite. They are find on soft groomers but as JT said - put them on an icy hardpack, not so much fun.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I have Salomon Guardians on my main pair. They’re great for resort skiing. I am not a serious tourer, just occasionally skin for exercise and mess around on a closed ski area and the hills around it near my house (when it has snow). They work fine but they’re the only AT bindings I’ve ever owned so can’t compare. I used BCA touring adapters before and the Guardians are way better then that
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
I also have and use the guardians. They tour easy enough and transfer power on the down hill well. Switching back and forth is a breeze with your pole. However I've recently started my conversion to tele. Please consider trying NTN type bindings. Just be forewarned,resistance is futile.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thehof wrote
However I've recently started my conversion to tele.
Explain motivation please. :)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Thehof
I second this!! Switching to tele will be the best decision you can make for your skiing pleasure. It opens up a window to an entire new world!
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
I've been tele curious for years. Skiing at Platty it's hard not to watch "those guys". I follow and stalk the free heelers into the woods off the double along the ridge. I marveled how effortless it seemed for them to traverse across the flats. I ask questions and get interesting answers. I was actually introduced to marcski, and he tried to convert me right away.

My wife and I end up buying a weekend/ retirement home in PA that has a smallish ski mountain that's one of the amenities. Sometimes I get a little bored after a couple of runs. I know that may sound ridiculous. But anyway after posting interest in buying a used tele setup,in this forum, a bargain was struck with MC. Got a great beginner set up.

Liberty LTE, NTN bindings and Scarpa boots.

Now i'am not bored because it's like learning to ski all over again. The one other free heeler at Big Bear was kind enough to spend a couple if hours with me last year. We will spend time together again this year i'am sure. He's never been to Platty ,so I will try to arrange a field trip with him and his tele skiing wife.

I'll grow out my beard a little more and make it to Platty maybe this week or next.

Trying to get my bro to give one of his snow boards to try that also. Just trying to keep winter life interesting.
Cheers

"No Falls=No Bslls