Freedom Pass

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Freedom Pass

Marcski
Just reading some ski sites eh, eh, I mean doing some research while at work and came across this little tidbit that I had yet to hear anything about but, apparently I'm in, since I'm a Platty passholder:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2016/09/27/skiings-freedom-pass-is-now-free/

"...Participating mountains include: Black Mountain, N.H.; Bolton Valley, Vt.; Dartmouth Skiway, N.H.; Eaglecrest Alaska; Granite Gorge, N.H.; Lost Valley, Maine; Magic Mountain, Vt.; McIntyre Ski Area, N.H.; Mount Bohemia, Mich.; Pajarito Mountain, N.M.; Plattekill Mountain, N.Y.; Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort, N.M. and Ski Cooper, Colo."

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Freedom Pass

Harvey
Administrator
Awesome. Ski Cooper!

I'm in too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Marcski
cool, do a few sovt magic trips with some xcd at stratton pond or merck forest
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I've skied Cooper - not really something you would probably want to take a day away from skiing the other bigger resorts except for it has the lowest cost and one of the best daily cat skiing operations in the US.  Its also at a very high altitude so if have issues do not try to stay in Leadwood.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Coach Z wrote
do not try to stay in Leadwood.
Leadville
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
I'm thinking maybe a Bohemia season pass for $99.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
not really something you would probably want to take a day away from skiing the other bigger resorts
You or me?

I'd go. When I did hut to hut in Summit county one of the guides had a cabin at 11,000 on the back of Ski Cooper and invited me to stay with him for a month. Sounded like my kind of place.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
They have not much vert in bounds and very little black terrian.  Mostly they promote themselves as a place for families with small kids and low level skiers to ski at a lower price.  As a strong skier you would be bored after a few hours.

I'm not sure of thier policy for accessing thier side country as that is where they have a nice cat skiing op with some great steeps.  I doubt they allow someone skinning to get above a cat group as it is somewhat avy prone up there.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
I'm only curious if Bohemia will mail out a season pass.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Bohemia pass is a clever idea. Bet you have to be there in person.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
Are you telling me you can't order the pass online?  I didn't think that would have been the problem.  Thought more of the problem was they'd need you there to take your pic and then they probably couldn't mail it out without all that or they wouldn't mail it out at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I don't think they have mail service in the UP. It's pretty much Canada at that point where everybody still lives in Igloos and hunts mastodons and shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
I tried calling Bohemia but the mailbox is full and I can't leave a message.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
If they expect people to drive 4-8 hours to purchase a pass in person they won't be selling too many passes.
Of course  - I could be wrong.

They also have a $25 insurance in case you do not use the pass this season. There is no refund but the pass pushes off to next season. They also have a 2 year season pass for $159. There are lots of interesting possibilities.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
I mean I'd pay $99 for a Plattekill 3 pack.  And all the other perks on top of that are just a bonus.  But, I keep hearing Midwest will do good this year.  The lakes are warm to and lake effect is supposed to be in full effect.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
Found out from Bohemia today that they don't even have a physical pass.  They just email you and you are to take that email to the mountains for your free tickets.  They said they mail a list of their pass holders to the mountains on the list.    So no need to goto Bohemia to pick up your pass.  It's  $99 on Dec 3rd only.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Coach Z wrote
not really something you would probably want to take a day away from skiing the other bigger resorts
You or me?

I'd go. When I did hut to hut in Summit county one of the guides had a cabin at 11,000 on the back of Ski Cooper and invited me to stay with him for a month. Sounded like my kind of place.

Sleeping at 9000 feet is tough, but upping it to 11000 is getting dangerous.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Pretty sure the huts in summit county are between 10.5 and 11.5.  I think I slept above 11 on two nights.  It didn't feel dangerous, but above 10k I pretty much had a headache the whole time, so who knows.  I do know that it is individual.

I think I would have been fine if I could have stayed longer.