Funky Homebrew

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Funky Homebrew

Petronio
My wife brought home some homebrew from a fellow professor at the college . . .  methinks there are some strange sugars in there.  I don't feel so good . . .

Anyone here homebrew?  I used to in law school.  Haven't in a while.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Funky Homebrew

Face4Me
Petronio wrote
My wife brought home some homebrew from a fellow professor at the college . . .  methinks there are some strange sugars in there.  I don't feel so good . . .

Anyone here homebrew?  I used to in law school.  Haven't in a while.

Petronio
I do from time to time, but I've had pretty mixed results. Some have been really good, some have been ok, and quite a few have been total losers. Unfortunately, given the time, expense and effort, when I end up with a loser, it usually takes me a long time get motivated to try again.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I have brewed in the past although nothing recently. I usually buy the kits for 25-30 bucks that yield about 5 gallons. They have all turned out well...kinda hard to screw up with proven recipes and good ingredients.

That reminds me..I have a wheat beer kit and a canadian lager kit that has been sitting on the shelf for over a year. Gotta get off my butt and do some brewing!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
pro2860 wrote
I have brewed in the past although nothing recently. I usually buy the kits for 25-30 bucks that yield about 5 gallons. They have all turned out well...kinda hard to screw up with proven recipes and good ingredients.
All of my brews have been extracts, I'm not doing any mashing or anything, but I still seem to have an uneven track record ... I think I must be doing something wrong with sanitizing the equipment or handling the yeast or something ... either way, it's pretty annoying when they don't turn out well.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
All of this talk of brew. Makes me want brew.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Kids got me a kit for Christmas, gonna give ita go after ski season. Paskiandride root brews a mean breakfast wheat called 10:30 am!
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Keeping the equipment clean is pretty important.  Since I was on a student budget, I collected used beer bottles from a couple of parties instead of buying new clean ones.  I had to clean and then sanitize those in boiling water.  

When I brewed, I used a combination of extract and also malted barley I steeped before pitching the yeast.    It was fun and pretty satisfying, but time consuming.  Which is why I haven't done it in a long time.

My middle daughter is celiac and/or wheat-barley allergy, so I imagine I will probably return to it in about 8 years but using millet or some other grain.  Just like I've modified a lot of regular recipes that use wheat flour. (and egg/dairy/peanut/sesame -- multiple allergies!)

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
After you home brew for a while you stop bitching about paying $1.50 for a good bottle of beer.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.