GORE 02-05-2011

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GORE 02-05-2011

GoofyRider
This is actually from Thurs 2/3 and today 2/5. We definitely earned our turns in some glades in BR and Chatty on both days. Had to unstrap two times from the north quad down Pipeline after bombing Tahawus past the chair. Once you reached the pump house it's pretty fast with no flat spots all the way to BRQ. Only disappointment of today was the Hudson chair broke and ruined our plan to take the shuttle into town from the Ski Bowl and back to main base lodge. Our sequence of terrain pod choices as we rode each day worked out really well...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GORE 02-05-2011

Michaeltokyo
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Nice vid, the brother said there was thigh deep today if you knew where to look, looks like more snow this week
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Agreed = nice video.  Looks like your crew has the right attitude for boarders taking on Gore.

Was the first clip Eagle's Nest or .... ?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

GoofyRider
thanks guys!

Harv, that first clip starts just below that bridge on Pipeline.  Not sure where Pipeline ends and Eagles Nest begins exactly..

As a boarder I guess I don't even blink at the flat spots much anymore, it's just part of the experience.  There's really no place else I'd rather be anyway than on a mountain escaping reality for a few hours and soaking in nature.  

That being said, I rarely lap Lies due to the traverse!

Reply | Threaded
|

P.MAC
In reply to this post by GoofyRider
Agree with Goofyrider... what an awesome week at Gore! I was actually there on 2/2 and it was coming down in buckets! It got so deep that this "old man's" legs got tired after 5 runs. Decided to got back to my cabin and RELAX! Had a hard time making it out of the parking lot! But the apres, though alone, was great!

I have to give credit to Gore. I was wondering how they were going to make all this "skied up" powder doable for the average Joe by Thursday 2/3. Got there with two friends who had never skied Gore in the morning (2/3) and just about every trail on the mountain was groomed. Fresh (deep) powder that has just be groomed is MY THING! Honestly, the best conditions I have had all year! Kudos to the Gore grooming crew for getting the mountain in such incredible shape in just 15 hours after more than a foot of snow. Isn't it great to be able to "let it all hang out" without any worry of ICE? Did 13 or 14 runs which put my knee in ice during apres, but it was a good thing!

One thing for folks who have not done the pipeline this year... When you get to the first bridge and you are trying to go to the Burnt Ridge Quad, you can't go straight ahead when you reach the first bridge as in the past. You have to make the left hand turn over the first bridge (as if you were going to Ski Bowl) then a short distance and make a right over another bridge which takes you to the Burnt Ridge Quad. BEST skiing conditions of the year so far, hands down. Echo was EXCELLENT and I personally did not like that run in the past. They are supposed to get 6-8 inches tonight... PRIME TIME at Gore right now!!!!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
P.MAC wrote
One thing for folks who have not done the pipeline this year... When you get to the first bridge and you are trying to go to the Burnt Ridge Quad, you can't go straight ahead when you reach the first bridge as in the past. You have to make the left hand turn over the first bridge (as if you were going to Ski Bowl) then a short distance and make a right over another bridge which takes you to the Burnt Ridge Quad.
This was true weekend before yesterday, but on Sunday, what is probably called Upper Eagles' nest was open and one could have skied right past the bridge. I wen to Ski Bowl and had great time on Moxham. It has "Historic Trail" signs. Bridge is located at the point where Pipeline finally goes downhill and normally one would speed up in anticipation of another flat area.I wish bridge was at some angle as someone eventually might fly off it.