GORE uphill?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GORE uphill?

ADmiKe
While doing a dawn patrol at WF yesterday, we were talking about Gore, and was wondering...does Gore have an uphill policy?  Allow uphill?

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GORE uphill?

evergreen
As far as I know they do not.  The problem in NY is that the insurance carriers do not allow uphill travel unless it is on a dedicated uphill only trail.  This is why just about no NY ski areas have an uphill policy.  I suspect that Whiteface and Gore are self insured and are therefore exempt from this, and I don't understand why Gore doesn't allow it other than when I asked someone in the Gore ski patrol, director?, they were hostile to the idea.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
I have seen people uphilling at Platty, Windam and Hunter- pretty sure it's allowed at all three. No uphill allowed at Bel
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
There were reports of people getting busted for trying to hike both Hunter and Windham in the spring.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I think that was Windam and it was when the place was closed. I'm not saying you don't need a ticket, just that I see people doing it without getting in trouble
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
I don't understand why Gore doesn't allow it ........ Gore ski patrol, director?, they were hostile to the idea.
There's the answer right there.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It does create problems for the mountain operations. On Powder days here it was starting to hurt the Powder day product. They don't allow uphill traffic now on deep days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Brownski
Other than "don't eat the yellow snow" and "don't be stupid" I know of no other rules at Platty.