GPS Tracking?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GPS Tracking?

Footer
Anyone else do GPS tracking on the mountain?  I have always found it kind of interesting to see how the days play out.  Been doing it with  my phone the last few years with GPS Ski Maps.  It uploads to Mountain Dynamics Snow Days.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GPS Tracking?

JasonWx
does it kill the battery or use a lot of data?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
I have Gaia GPS which is a hiking ap but also works great for skiing. The neat thing about this ap is that it uses off line topo maps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote

Kills battery, doesn't use a lot of data at all.

I use MapMyRide for road biking. Record every ride with elevation profile.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
I throw my phone in airplane mode when I get to the mountain.  All the maps are downloaded locally, so no data there.  I start the tracking when I leave the lodge and leave it run all day.  I usually have 75% of battery left at the end of the day.  The GPS Ski Map app will also give you current stats throughout the day.  At the end of they day it uploads to the mountain dynamics site.  http://www.mountaindynamics.com/en/sdtbl.php?r=0&u=7953&t=1&s=2013

Also, you can upload any GPS file to the mountain dynamics site, it is free to use and does run by run tracking.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Footer wrote
JasonWx wrote
I throw my phone in airplane mode when I get to the mountain.  All the maps are downloaded locally, so no data there.  I start the tracking when I leave the lodge and leave it run all day.  I usually have 75% of battery left at the end of the day.  The GPS Ski Map app will also give you current stats throughout the day.  At the end of they day it uploads to the mountain dynamics site.  http://www.mountaindynamics.com/en/sdtbl.php?r=0&u=7953&t=1&s=2013

Also, you can upload any GPS file to the mountain dynamics site, it is free to use and does run by run tracking.
I hit the link and looked at the data. There is a lot of interesting tracking. It looks like your distance is including the lift rides. Maybe you knew this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Yup, their miles traveled includes lift time.  No idea why they did it that way.  Vertical though is purely downhill.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
X is totally into his vert tracking.

Was it you who told me you like to ski the green trails because the make the route look more interesting when you are done?

Post one up!

I'd like to see a bunch from NY mountains. Or Vt or wherever.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
I used an app called Alpine Replay for part of the day when I was at West a week ago.  Did much of what was mentioned above including calories, air time, avg speed, fastest speed etc thought it was very interesting.  Running out of time to get use to using this season but I was impressed.  It was a warm day so the phone stayed charged some days on the mountain the battery just seems to disappear when I get on the lift?
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
This route not recommended