Garnet Hill, 1/25/2020

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Garnet Hill, 1/25/2020

Peter Minde
On Friday night, I drove back to North Creek for Saturday's HURT Mega Relay at Garnet Hill.  Teams of 3 or 4 people take turns skiing laps around a 4 km loop for 6 hours.

Red sky at morning, skiers take warning:

The weather wasn't promising, and the race had been postponed once due to no snow.  When 50 kids trooped into the lodge at once, I thought one of the local high schools had shown up to steal glory.  But it was an outdoors club from Ridgewood NJ high school.

Snow was dirty in places, and there were a few rocks poking through.  But it was safe to use good skis.  I teamed up with Ed Lis and Brian White, who I've skied this race with the last couple years.  We agreed to ski 2-lap shifts.

As I started my third shift, it began to rain steadily.  When I came in at the end, Ed wasn't there.  Nothing to do but head out on another lap.  I caught up with another skier, who told me HURT was ending the race early due to the weather.  Then the Hand of Doom stormed by me and told me, "Everyone's just skiing as many laps as they can!"

<nabble_embed>2019-mega-relay-video.mp4</nabble_embed>

At 2:20, I finished my third shift: I wasn't skiing fast enough to complete another lap.  Brian, Ed, and I won the men's division, and Peru Nordic also took the mixed division.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Garnet Hill, 1/25/2020

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Congrats on the win Peter!
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Thanks for the report Peter, and congrats to the team!

I feel like we should spancer Peru Nordic.

Send me a link to that vid and I will try to embed.  Is the HOD in that vid?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Harv, I sent the link to via FB DM.  Please let me know whether you received it.  Video features HOD just off camera, questioning the legality of a tag off between members of a rival team.  All in good fun.