Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gear stoke for the upcoming season

Z
This post was updated on .
What are you all getting new this season?  Let's share it here

I'm stoked about my new Elan Spire skis.  They are 130-98-120 and I really liked the 98 to 100mm underfoot skis when I demoed gear out west this past winter.  Based on my testing my preference is tip and tail rocker with camber underfoot and that is exactly what these are.  http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/elan-spire-2012 this review talks about how this ski is very well suited to bigger guys and I'm 6 foot and 220 lbs.  I've found Elan's very well suited to a powerful which seems to be the nice way to say a heavier skier.

I found this link with a really good review from a guy from Nothern VT  http://www.epicski.com/products/2012-elan-spire-ski.

Like the review in the attached I also had the Elan Apex which is a very similiar ski with a 88mm waist that I really liked but I wanted something wider for Powder and crud.  They seem very light for such a wide ski.  I really like that it has square side walls for better edge hold

I ended up ordering this in a 187cm.  This concerned me at 1st until they showed up with a 4 inch running surface semi twin tip tail.  Since a regular ski has about 1 to 1.5 inch of running service tail rise so effectively a 187cm with a 4" tail rise will ski like a 180cm I figure.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gear stoke for the upcoming season

Harvey
Administrator
I'm getting some new Worth skis, 98mm in the waist, 178 cm long, with a little bit of tip rocker. Based roughly on the Daily Bread, with some customization.  I have no idea if they are the right thing, just going on gut.

Boots and bindings (as discussed ad nauseum) TBD.

Is there BRAND (alpine boot) out there recognized for comfort? I know I should get a custom fit, but who makes a great boot?

Looking like a new camera in my futcha too. Does that count?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Canon S100, good choice! Can't go wrong there.

RE: Alpine Boots... so you decided to go Alpine? You'll want to get fit at a shop. The only factor in regards to "comfort" is a boot that fits right. Different companies and styles have radically different fit. You'll be amazed at how different three or four boots in the same size will feel. I can't speak to differences between tele and alpine but I can say a good alpine fit should be tight (almost uncomfortably so when new) without being painful. Go for a custom footbed if you have a weird foot or fit issues.

For my own gear, G3 Tonics for my touring skis and Atomic Theory's for my alpine ski. Look Pivot 14s are new on the Theory's. All else remains the same.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
I'm getting some new Worth skis, 98mm in the waist, 178 cm long, with a little bit of tip rocker. Based roughly on the Daily Bread, with some customization.  I have no idea if they are the right thing, just going on gut.

Boots and bindings (as discussed ad nauseum) TBD.

Is there BRAND (alpine boot) out there recognized for comfort? I know I should get a custom fit, but who makes a great boot?
I spent a good deal of time debating the length of my new ski and decided to go a little longer because it had so much of a rear raised tip.  I feel that skis with rocker at the tip and tail tend to feel shorter.

as for a boot the most comfortable boots are the ones that fit you correctly so I think the choice of shop is very important.  Since you are close to Gore I'd suggest Inside Edge in Queensbury.  Richard the Manager is very good at fitting and making custom foot beds.  

Since you are coming from a Tele boot and many of them feature the intuition heat moldable linears I'd start by looking at models with that.  Inside Edge carries Dabello which has four shells with 4 widths that offer the moldable liners which are made for them by Intuition who is the leader in that type of liner.  Most of the tele companies are getting their liners from Intuition.  You need to match your width with the shell just like you need to match your size (length).

Full disclosure - I am a pro rep for Dabello.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Haven't really decided on bindings for the Worths. Just wondering about boots.  (Also didn't buy the camera yet - that camera store didn't have one complete or unopened.)

I do think if I get them mounted for alpine it'll be with a Fritchi.

So ... all boots are created equal. Only the fit matters. That is different from the teleworld for sure.  With tele if your foot is narrow = Scarpa. Wide feet = Garmont.

Richard at Inside Edge (Glens Falls NY) fit my last two pairs of teleboots and did a great job.  I love the Intuition liners although I've never had anything else, so I think I'll look for a boot that has those liners.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
ohh the months of october and november will empty my back account....

this is the list of definites:

new outerwear, not sure yet but want to get shells instead of use my insulated jackets again.

helmet/goggle

skis

bindings

possibly/wants
nordica radict with fks 180/jester pro/sth16 or something like that
some nice hestra gloves. really need some new ones, mine are falling apart.

i promise i dont have issues...
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
New pair of atomic blackeye Ti for me. They have what Atomic calls adaptive rocker so we'll see.
Didn't really need them,but got a hell of a deal online.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
More disclosure of Rep Status in this thread, please!

Also, Harv, there is no Alpine boot that's going to be considered comfortable for you. Especially coming from a Tele Boot. Anything you get is going to feel like you're putting your foot in a vise (which you kind of need for good performance). I ski in a 110 flex and have a really nice fit, but it still feels beautiful at the end of the day when I take them off . . . With a Tele boot, I'm comfy all day and feel much less of a difference when I switch into my man Uggs.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
I strongly recommend the Markers over the Fritschi's for mostly resort skiing. The Atomic/Salmon offering may be another good option but it has yet to be field tested. I'd still take Atomic/Salomon's new binding in its first year over the Fritschi. Regarding boot fit, some alpine boot makers have typical lasts... like Lange's are normally narrower than typical. But it ain't like the polarizing differences between Garmont and Scarpa. But still different manufacturers have different fits.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
As I have disclosed in the past I also am a Elan Pro Rep but I'm not sure you directed that comment to me or not.

Back in the old days (about 5 years ago) being a pro rep meant free gear but that is no longer the case.  All ski and boot companies today are all making good and exciting gear to ski on.  You need to select what is right for you so a good shop is very key to help you do that.

I've been with Elan for 12 years and they make skis that I really like or I would not stay on them.  Ever since Stenmark returned to Elan as VP of technology the skis have rocked.  They alway use wood cores and square sidewall and I usually end up on the versions with two sheets of Ti in them which suit my 6 foot 220 lbs load that I put on them.  Elan's are made in Slovenia in a factory just a few miles from the Austrian border.  The labor costs are lower there than in other parts of Europe so they can make the high end stuff more by hand than it done by other manufacturers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Gotta disagree with you Matt. I think the less professional info a person gives up about themselves the better. When a person starts letting people on a forum know what mountain he works at, what he does there, what shop he works for, who he reps for, etc. it is a mistake. There are no real benefits giving out the info about yourself and it could cause you an unforseen problem down the line. Just my 2 cents.

I didn't always adhere to this policy, but I've learned from experience.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Gotta disagree with you Matt. I think the less professional info a person gives up about themselves the better. When a person starts letting people on a forum know what mountain he works at, what he does there, what shop he works for, who he reps for, etc. it is a mistake. There are no real benefits giving out the info about yourself and it could cause you an unforseen problem down the line. Just my 2 cents.

Are you joking? I realize that you don't want to "out" yourself, but I'd like to know if I'm being told actual information or if I'm being given a sales pitch. And yes, even if it's been written somewhere before, you should disclose the fact that you work (or worked) for a company before you tell me about how great the product is. Even if you don't get free skis anymore, you did at one point, and you still have a vested interest in selling more of a certain product, and I'd like to know about that.

There's a real simple solution to your fear of giving out too much information about yourself - don't post anything at all. Posting a blatant pitch masquerading as a thread on new equipment is disingenuous at best, illegal at worst.

I'm just saying - post what you want to post, but if you're going to advocate something where there's any chance of a conflict of interest, let everyone know.

Edit: Didn't mean for this come across as an attack on you HPD, you haven't done anything in this thread that's untoward, but I feel like a couple of people in this thread have some 'splaining (or deleting) to do. I recognize that some people don't realize the complexities of internet posting, but come on. I thought this thread was a little ridiculous when I first read it, and then there were a couple more advertisements posted underneath the original.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Guys - since Harv posted my bio last year I've been a total open book on this blog and I have put it out there who I am and what I ski on as I have disclosed many times my affilations.  I am not nor have I ever been an employee of a ski or boot company and have not worked for a ski shop for over 20 years.  It slipped my mind to add the Elan disclosure to my original post that started this thread probably because I have disclosed that several times in the past.  I did add the boot disclosure on my own later.

Matt I'm sorry if I offended you but I am stoked by my new skis which by the way I paid for.  If it came off as too commercial that was in no means my intent.  I wanted to kick start a discussion about gear as the Gearx section of the forum has been pretty inactive and by the way did I mention  I AM STOKED BY MY NEW SKIS and I wanted to have others share what they are stoked about getting.

I also was very clear that the best gear is the gear that is sized and selected with care and assistance of a good shop sales person.

Now can us Pros act like Pros and get back to talking about gear.  I think we all have a lot of info to share and can help others make better decisions.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Coach Z wrote
I think we all have a lot of info to share and can help others make better decisions.
I agree. That's why I feel that any information we put out should be completely untarnished. Glad you agree.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by riverc0il
I have the marker Dukes.  My buddy has the frichies.  Spelling yeah whatever.  They both are fine in bounds.  He can release the heal without stepping out of the binding.  Because of.that when I have to replace.the dukes it will be with frichies.  I am on the second ski with the dukes am pretty sure my buddy.as well.  
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
MC2 & HPD are both right. I think full disclosure is important but only if you are recommending the product or business that you get a check or perks from. If someone made a recommendation without full disclosure and I later learned that they has a vested interest, I would pretty much discontinue giving their posts any credit and perhaps even play counter point on those posts and actively call out the hidden vested interest. But if you aren't recommending the company or product that you are vested in, then I see no reason for bringing it up if you don't want to.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I think the less professional info a person gives up about themselves the better. When a person starts letting people on a forum know what mountain he works at, what he does there, what shop he works for, who he reps for, etc. it is a mistake. There are no real benefits giving out the info about yourself and it could cause you an unforseen problem down the line. Just my 2 cents.

I can't imagine what legitimate argument could be made against transparency.  If transparency is a problem, simply stay out of the conversation.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Adk Jeff wrote
I can't imagine what legitimate argument could be made against transparency.  If transparency is a problem, simply stay out of the conversation.
I can see how you wouldn’t and I mean that sincerely not sarcastically.  Without going into great detail and examples I guess the gist of what I was trying to convey was that people need to be careful about the info they give out about themselves on the internet. Sometimes it can come back and bite you in the ass even when you think you where making an innocent comment.

In defense of Coach Z, my take on his comments is that he doesn’t make a cent if someone buys Elan skis or not. The Elan line is what he knows, so he shares his knowledge about them. He has said many times he is the pro rep at WF for Elan.

My take on Matt’s comment is he wasn’t originally calling out Coach Z, rather it was a mutual acquaintance of ours who posts here. If that person prefers to keep his affiliations anonymous I think that’s his business. He wasn’t trying to sell anybody anything; he just wanted to participate in the conversation.

That's all I'll say on the subject, I'm really not looking for any forum drama. I have no ax to grind with anyone here.

I'm going to get on the Mt. bike now, great weather today.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My knee surgery tapped me as far as new skis go this year,bummer. All good tho----only got 8 days on my skis that were new last year so they're still new to me

Could make a mid-winter purchase if the price is right...need to get that one by the goalie first.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
I strongly recommend the Markers over the Fritschi's for mostly resort skiing.
i dont..been skiing on fritschis for 4 years and lover them!