Geoengineering/Atmospheric Pharmacology

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Geoengineering/Atmospheric Pharmacology

sudsnbumps
So normally I don't care about stuff like this but tonight this door to door fundraiser is doing a half marathon to basically save our planet. Nice enough guy so I gave him a donation and took his info.  Then I read his info and figured I would put this out there and see if anyone had more info on it.  I believe humankind is affecting weather/climate change but if things like Solar Radiation Management are really going on, how is it affecting us?  Harv, I  figured this is a weather affecting science but you can move it anywhere
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Geoengineering/Atmospheric Pharmacology

PeeTex
No one can dispute that CO2 concentrations are caused by man. But is it the major factor in climate change. I tend to think it’s water vapor and solar activity based on basic thermodynamics work I did over 40 years ago.

I look at a plan to put a bunch of satellites in space with adjustable mirrors to reflect sunlight. Within a few hours of simple math one could easily show that the energy required to launch all that space junk was astronomical. Then they said they were going to drag them up with space elevators. But that did not change the energy calculations - oops, just made it worse.

Most of this stuff is pure crap science looking for grant money and topics for PhD thesis material.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
Most of this stuff is pure crap science looking for grant money and topics for PhD thesis material.
Yeah, not sure we should all just keep burning every fossil fuel we can find because we're counting on some mythical, yet-to-be-invented technology to save us.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Glad you solved that problem for the world. Are you working on anything else right now, maybe something related to the universe? Keep us in the loop.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
I've read the most effective band aid solution is to release what is essentially chalk dust into the atmosphere via high altitude planes.  The dust would reflect some small percentage of sunlight back into space, the same thing that happens after a major volcanic eruption.   According to the article it wouldn't even take that much dust to accomplish this.

Let me see if I can find it.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/geoengineering-treatment-stratospheric-aerosol-injection-climate-change-study-today-2018-11-23/

That being said we still need to undergo a massive investment in building green power infrastructure and start sunsetting fossil fuel technology.  Perhaps at some point, 50+ years from now, we'll be able generate a surplus of energy from green (or even long shot things like cold fusion) technologies and begin to start removing CO2 from the ocean and atmosphere.