Get anything fun for Xmas?

24 messages Options
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Get anything fun for Xmas?

I got three pairs of really nice Smartwool ski socks and a stomach bug.

Maybe if it decides to snow in winter instead of fall, I'll get to try those socks.
Don't grow up, it's a trap.
marznc marznc
Reply |

Re: Get anything fun for Xmas?

Not exactly related to skiing, although I drive the minivan for ski trips in the east.  My husband bought replacement headlight sets for the 2007 minivan.  Even put the boxes under the Christmas tree.  The last time the lenses got too cloudy, he bought the polishing kit. ;-)

Had to replace a lightbulb in the fall when I was in Lake Placid.  So already knew which screws hold the lights in.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

We didn’t do much in the way of gift exchanges but my daughter and I are planning a trip up to Summit to ski at Copper and Loveland ski areas.

Summit County has never really been on my radar other than spring trips to A-Basin but with three free days at each of those two areas it’s looking like a pretty cool option. I think we can pull off four days of skiing, lodging, food, beverages and gas for well under 1500.
Reply |

OH man!  I said FUN!  So far nothing, some headlights and some socks.  All we need is a tie and an ugly sweater to round it out.  

We usually don't do much either.  As for our kids, I always say why wait for Christmas, if they need something, get it when they need it.  They did have more fun this Christmas though even though they only got a few play toys.

We got them season passes to the Museum of Play.  Not a bad gift when you are two.

We found out a little bit ago that our son who gets therapy can do his therapies there for free, so we wound up taking the others and getting the pass.  Worked out for everyone.

Except that bug I got.  Pretty sure I got that from the museum.
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I think we can pull off four days of skiing, lodging, food, beverages and gas for well under 1500.
I just caught that, missed it when I read it earlier.

That's insane to me.  That's my mortgage and food for a whole month.
greif greif
Reply |

My wife just gave me a battery heated coat! Don't need it for when I XC ski (I am self-warming then), but for low motion outside or in the garage it will be great!    BTW- you will love those smartwool socks. I have a bunch of Sporthill stuff, but have mostly switched to smartwool (great warmth and breathability)
Reply |

In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Haha! We are actually looking at an 8 day trip now. A sort of Colorado ski safari visiting all of the areas available on our AZ Snowbowl power Pass/ powder alliance. I think I can do it close to the same budget. That’s 8 days total with driving and we will stay with friends in Durango. That’s not much money at all really. I think most family ski trips are thousands and thousands more.

I’ve only had one kid because I know I can’t afford any more but when we do vacation I like to really do vacation!
Reply |

Fancy greif!  I also have no problem heating myself while skiing.  In fact that's why I dislike lifts - I get so friggin' cold on them and if I'm skiing hard, then I get very warm on the descent.  XC/BC skiing I tend to just always be too warm.

RA - too rich for my blood bro.  I bet I used to spend that total on my whole ski season before I had kids.  That would be driving, lodging, a couple lift tickets, etc...  

It's surely cheaper than a week in Europe (ask me how I know), but I guess I don't value the tourist industry like you do.  I can always find a way to have fun for much, much less investment.
Reply |

Before my daughter I was a total dirt bag ski bum. I spent way more on beer and whiskey than I ever did on skiing or food but now I want to give my daughter these experiences. It’s all about her now and imho there’s no better father and daughter bonding than a ski-road trip so it’s easy for me to justify it.

That being said, my car didn’t start this morning. Hopefully it’s just the battery cuz if it’s something more expensive our trip might be done.  
Reply |

raisingarizona wrote
Before my daughter I was a total dirt bag ski bum. I spent way more on beer and whiskey than I ever did on skiing or food but now I want to give my daughter these experiences. It’s all about her now and imho there’s no better father and daughter bonding than a ski-road trip so it’s easy for me to justify it.

That being said, my car didn’t start this morning. Hopefully it’s just the battery cuz if it’s something more expensive our trip might be done.
Yeah - I get that.  But I'll also remind you that you don't need to spend a lot of money to have great experiences.

Good luck with the car - even if it's the alternator, that shouldn't be too much.