Getting out of a skid with all wheel drive?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Getting out of a skid with all wheel drive?

greif
Been reading a web comic with a lot of racing content (but the storyline is far from that-  http://www.misfile.com/?date=2004-02-23       is the  start of the series) , some of which is specific to all wheel drive. They made a comment that the way to get out of a skid with all wheel drive is to gently give it more gas. This makes sense in wanting to get all the wheels turning again, but in looking at various forums, nobody has much to say about specific skidding with AWD.

One post said   steer out, or brake out, or give it gas but never two of those at once.

My question is; anyone have practical experience with killing a skid by giving it more gas?  (my car is a 2012 Subaru Forester BTW, in case the extra safety gadgets  by year make a difference).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Getting out of a skid with all wheel drive?

campgottagopee
When I read the title of this thread my immediate thought was to give it gas. I'm familiar w/ AWD's and imo the gas pedal is the best way to get out of a skid with them. If it actually snows this winter go to a parking lot and try it. I think you'll find it works quite well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by greif
I was driving with Shaman one day in his vehicle and we hit a slick spot and started to go sideways. That's exactly what he did, gentle gas, no brakes. It scared me when we started to slide, and even more when he pushed the gas, but it worked.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Harvey wrote
I was driving with Shaman one day in his vehicle and we hit a slick spot and started to go sideways. That's exactly what he did, gentle gas, no brakes. It scared me when we started to slide, and even more when he pushed the gas, but it worked.
I'm chuckling as I read this
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
When circumstances permit I have fun throwing my 4wd into a skid through corners on snowy roads......and I always pull out of it with more gas.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Does your Forester have VDC? (Subaru's "Vehicle Dynamics Control") If so, it will pull itself out of a skid by braking and slowing the engine down. I find it takes some getting used to, but does work in a small-scale skid. In a big skid, the comments above and good old counter-steering should work.

Another fun thing to try in the empty, snowy parking lot: Crank the wheel and mat it. If your car is manual, second gear is ideal. Power donuts!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I had a buddy in Jackson that had his e-brake 180 down so good he could swing one into a parallel parking spot. I thought he was nuts!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I'm on the gas it level. If you're skidding, hitting the brakes is going to keep you skidding. That's what ABS does - pulses them so you don't lock up. Point the wheels to the direction you want to go and give it some gas.

I've done some extensive.. uh.. research on the subject. Mostly by trial and error. There was an industrial park down the road from my house which was home to our testing lab.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
This Patrick Bedard-penned article, from a time when I was an avid reader of Car and Driver, is seared into my brain:

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=993

For someone who at the time drove oversteering RWD vehicles, where more gas, not easing off, would get you out of trouble, this answered the riddle of how applying more power to the front wheels in a FWD vehicle wouldn't be disastrous.

I don't know how this applies to full time AWD like a Subaru, but it is a good read.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

greif
I looked it up and see all Subarus have VDC since 2009, so I guess I can just let the car figure it out and get me out of a skid.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
If you're ever stuck in the snow, try turning VDC off. It puts power to the wheel with the least resistance, whereas turning it off would put power back to the wheels with relatively more traction.