This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Glass half full or half empty?

TomCat
I have to go with half full. It seems that the snowmaking crew has turned it on the last two weeks and has made good progress given the lack of natural snow. I was afraid that with the budget woes they would be waiting for mother nature. I think it was a good move and the skiers showing up for the holiday week will have a good experience and will be more likely to return. That's good for the mountain long term.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Yeah.  I'm going to go with half full.  The best is definitely yet to come.  Snowiest month historically is March, despite last year.

It's just hard to be patient when it comes to things like this (especially when you look at other mountains), but I seem to remember always wanting more around this time (see this thread).  I think Gore is doing pretty good for the amount of natural they've received (pretty much none), and we just have to try to relax until we get dumped on (hopefully soon).  Easier said than done, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm going with 66.6% full.

Definitely more than half, because in my mind, without the cold temps you're nowhere.  

Obviously many of us thrive on natural snow, so I'm thinking 75% is too high.

Was sneaking a peak at the radar and looks like something is falling in New York...

Sometimes even the donut hole gets it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Half full and a lot was because of the one blip in the radar...the rain...the snow that fell before the rain absorbed much of the rain and solidified with the cold air. There is a nice base down now.  Those little two inch snows over the last week have set up nicely in the woods and I don't think it is going to take much more to get us in there...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Definately half full, or more.
Skied Sugarbush Mon-Wed this week.   Don't believe everything you read, there should be senate hearing for marketing directors.

Although advertised as 50 trails,  in reality they had 1.5 runs down Mt Ellen, and 2.5 down Lincoln Peak.  Coverage on these runs were similar to Gore.   However if you had skis at least five years old and/or love to p-tex and blow out your edges, then the Bush had more terrian.  Additional 4 or 5 runs per peak.  Gore would not even consider opening them due to the rocks/dirt/lack of snow on their runs.  This is a good thing.

We are ahead of the game this year at Gore (and WF for that matter).   Consider ourselves lucky compared to our Eastern friends....we have much more skiable terrain and variety going into the critical $$$ week!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Praise Jah for snowmaking!

I would like to have more snow on the trails near my home and more snow on the ground up in Johnsburg before I bring 25 of my friends up to Gore in Two weeks. I scheduled it early this year and now I'm wondering if we'll be snow-less. Still 2 weeks away. Forecast isn't very promising.
Reply | Threaded
|

adksara
I'm completely a half full kind of gal... the weather has thankfully been cold enough for snowmaking to hit the ground running. More and more trails are opening. And it's SNOWING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! Granted it probably won't shift north enough yet to really impact Gore, but still... we're getting there.

I'm looking forward to bluebird days... snowy cold days... blustery freeze your bum off days.... it really doesn't matter as long as the skis are on my feet and pointing down the hill!
Keep your skis happy.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Have to buck the trend, half empty in my book. Very little natural snow in the Dacs so far this year. And we seem to be heading back to the usual crappy winter pattern of the past 20 yrs or so. Little snow, strong winds to follow, bitter cold behind that, cloudy for a few weeks with a few flurries, warm up, freezing rain, then big rain. Repeat every 10 days to 3 weeks. Our biggest precip events in the winter in the central Adirondacks have unfortunately been RAIN, not snow. Gets really frustrating, start to get a decent base going then the rain, melt down and refreeze to concrete. Looks like this weekend, the start of the new year will be warm and wet, this will be the 3rd rain event since 12/1/10, it's a downer of a pattern. Time to move west or northwest for the winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Could not agree more. Like Hoser said, " MONDAY 12/27 - at a loss for words....only in the Adks do we lose snow in a Nor'easter, rather than gain."

Even Lil Willard got 14 inches and is 75% open with powder conditions.

It's like we are cursed. Did one of you guys piss off the Gypsie Woman ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
It's Adams fault. He bought a new groomer for his X/C trails. Actually I feel sorry for the guy. He's all enthused to create some nice groomed ski trails for his family and friends and he really really needs natural snow. Give it a minute the weather will change. I'm with the half full bunch. The ponds are frozen nicely for hockey. There was an eagle in a tree in my backyard over the river this afternoon was good sign I think.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
.. It's like we are cursed.
Yesterday afternoon I had same thoughts. My house back in NJ is under 2 feet of snow. Yesterday morning it was snowing in Lake Placid and according to Whiteface snow report they got 5" day before that.

There a curse, a bad karma. Paid parking must have made God angry at Gore. I have not been to the mountain on Monday or today, but on Sunday paid lot was expanded and empty. Blame management.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
half full...rode the lift with a couple today that started at whiteface and ended at Gore because the wind had the Face flattened.  I skied open to close and even rode the topridge chair a few times

also, I am getting used to the paid parking...I don't sleep in in the morning...for those that do and pay for a full day plus the parking fee...thanks NYS could use the money
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back