Who's going skiing on Christmas day?
Are You Going Skiing on Christmas Day
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Going Skiing Christmas Day?

PowderAssassin
You think MC will have any snow left? It's supposed to be near 60 with pouring rain day before. And tomorrow is mid 40's and today was 40s. How much snow did they have to begin with?
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
They said they'd be open 10-4
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
They seem to think they will.  They announced it today that they'd be open Christmas Day from 10am to 4pm.  They blew a crap load of snow when they had the temps and they blew it wet and dense so it would survive.  They won't be open Wednesday when the worst of the r*in comes to preserve cover.  Then they'll push some snow around to cover any bare spots and open up.  I don't think they'd announce that they'd be open if they weren't sure of it.  If you thought the backlash for opening as late as they did was bad, imagine the backlash they'd get if they had to say that they wouldn't be open after they said they would be open before.
High levels of humidity(high humidity makes snow melt quicker. It's counter-intuitive, but true) and temps approaching 60 will melt about 4-6 inches of compacted spread out snow(whales survive a little better) over a few days. So it really depends on their base depth right now. The day AFTER christmas and the next day after are going to be really sketchy since they won't be able to make any snow and will be really warm and people will be skiing it which causes further degradation of the snowpack. They're reporting a snow depth of 12 inches on just a few trails(and that 12 inches I assure you is not uniform, but the maximum), which is nothing for a ski area that far south. DId you see any whales there when you were therE?
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This was ski sundown back on dec 5th. They have a very similar climate to MC. Base is only 500 feet and summit is 1000 feet near hartford, CT(average temp in hartford is similar to white plains NY. Only slightly cooler). When you have a southern mountain, you have to blow snow at EVERY opportunity

14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
It takes a week of r*in to melt all the snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
Mountain Creek's snow report is almost always wrong.  They hardly ever have the correct bad depth listed.  I was there yesterday and there was an average base depth of about 2 feet on South with some whales in certain areas.  I know MC  very well and they often surprise me with the amount of snow they have after r*in.  Last year they blew so much snow that they were open till April 5th.  If they can do that, they can last through a December thaw.
Well hopefully it works out for you and you get to ski!
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
As long as I can ski top to bottom I'm fine.  What I am sure of is that 12/27 and 12/28 wi be a holiday nightmare.  Tons and tons of people on not so many trails.  Only one chair running at South can also mean some monster lift lines of 20-30 minutes.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
snoloco wrote
As long as I can ski top to bottom I'm fine.  What I am sure of is that 12/27 and 12/28 wi be a holiday nightmare.  Tons and tons of people on not so many trails.  Only one chair running at South can also mean some monster lift lines of 20-30 minutes.
That sounds like a blast!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I stopped skiing on Christmas when my son was born.  We are on snow so much that we take this day off to spend family time.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by snoloco
Dewpoint of 55 forecasted
Man....that dewpoint just EATS the snowcover. It's worse than full on sun in march or april

Highs is the 50's next few days with rain, no refreeze at night with temps hovering near 50, and near 100 percent humidty(fog will form that just eats the snow cover worse than sun). Hopefully Mc blew enough snow. This is more than just a one day rain event. That's easy in comparison to recover from. Time will tell if they are still operating day on Friday or if all the snow goes bye bye
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm there now and there is a crap load of snow on the trails.  I'd say 2-3 foot base average as well as some huge piles of snow to push around.  They will get a refreeze at night on Fri, Sat, and Sun so they might make a little snow then.  Snowmaking weather returns for good Monday night.  I'm sure they'll last.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
I'm there now and there is a crap load of snow on the trails.  I'd say 2-3 foot base average as well as some huge piles of snow to push around.  They will get a refreeze at night on Fri, Sat, and Sun so they might make a little snow then.  Snowmaking weather returns for good Monday night.  I'm sure they'll last.
Well if it's that deep you should be ok. A few days of 50s is not going to take away all that snow, but other areas with less snow cover will not be as lucky.

I have to say I like spring skiing(even in dec/jan!). It's so nice and soft. Really fun especially when freshly groomed. As long as a ski area makes enough snow when it's cold, then you're all good. That's one good thing about southern areas. It's not constant hardpack/ice.(which you would think it is due to lack of natural snow) It gets above freezing regularly. That being said, I HATE hardpack/ice conditions. I can't stand it. Obviously I don't do much night skiing.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by snoloco
Merry Christmas Sno!
I won't be out there, will be enjoying a good turkey and passing out gifts around the tree.
Enjoy you Holidays on the slopes and I hope you make some good turns.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.