Good bootfitter in Northern NJ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Good bootfitter in Northern NJ?

Danzilla
Hoping somebody here can recommend one.  Looking to get boots and probably new skis.  I have an OLD pair of Nordica boots that are probably a size or so too big so I want to make sure and get it right this time.  Big feet (13 US) and big calves.  Would love to visit Harvey's guy upstate, but it just isn't going to happen before the season.  Thinking about checking out Cury's.  I've been in Ski Barn a few times and would never get anything other than rentals (for the kids) from them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Good bootfitter in Northern NJ?

JasonWx
I heard good things about Heino's.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Awesome - thanks for the advice both of you.  I just checked out their site and it looks legit.  Any place that says call ahead, make an appointment, and plan on spending at least an hour in the store seems to have their priorities in line.  Especially in this crazy go fast land that I live in.  Its only about 20 minutes from my house.   I'll be heading there sometime in the next couple weeks and will report back with results.

Thanks!

D
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
I can vouch for Greg at Heinos.  He owns the shop and is a Master Bootfitter.  My husband's and my boots are from that shop.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
And absolutely go for the custom footbeds.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks again for the recommendation.  I went to Heino's last night and Greg spent close to an hour and a half with me.   He talked me through the process and after measuring me and looking at my feet told me exactly what he thought he would be able to do and wouldn't be able to do based on my body.  I am a big guy with odd shaped big feet, big calves, and skinny ankles which makes things difficult.  By the end he had me in a very comfortable Nordica boot that just flexes a little too much.  He wanted me to try on a Technica boot that is a little stiffer, but he didn't have it in stock.  Rather than try to sell me on the Nordica he is ordering the Technica boot just so that I can try it on and be sure that I have the best boot possible.  All in all a great experience.

I also ended up talking to another one of the guys who works there and he got me into the Atomic Crimson Ti ski.  Greg and a few of the other people who work there ride the ski and they had a great deal on them.

So now I am set with new toys for the season.  Just have to make the final decision on boots.  Gregg also molded me for footbeds - the instaprint ones.

This is exactly the type of experience that makes me happy to support a local business rather than buy online or from a big box store.  Wish all small business owners did customer service this well.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Good to know Aussie.  The boots that were a good fit for me were Nordica Cruise 100.  They are rated as advanced intermediate boots.  They felt a little soft compared to the other boots I tried.  I will go with these if the technicas don't feel right.  The Nordicas were the first pair I tried and felt by far the best even with the softer flex.  The flex numbers are so hard to compare b/c there really isn't an industry standard.  After having those boots on for 20 minutes though they felt as good as when I first put them on.  We got me into a size smaller than expected too so the boot will be nice and snug.

As a 200+ guy wondering what your thoughts are on ski length over in the other thread?  I am torn between 172s and 178s.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
good luck with that
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
I am so glad you had such a great experience with Greg.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Went back tonight and tried on the boots that Greg ordered for me. So cool that he was willing to get another boot that he thought "might" be better for me.  He could have easily sold me the Nordicas that fit the best the first time I was in.  Thank goodness he didn't.  I ended up with the Technica Phoenix HVLs in 28.5.  The Nordicas are rated 100 and the Technicas are rated 110 but it seems like a much bigger difference.  The Nordicas felt comfy but I also felt like I could break the boot (or at least flex it past where it should go).  I am wearing my new Technicas right now to break them in and they feel snug as OJ's glove.  They encouraged me to come back in after I have worn the boots at home to have any hot spots worked on including no cost heat molding of the shell.  AWESOME SERVICE.

Greg was also great about my decision to not go with the Crimson Ti in 178 length. I had $500 down on those skis.  They unfortunately didn't have the 171s.  He didn't flinch when I told him I was going to hold off.  He rolled the deposit to my boots with no problem.  Great service and such a nice guy.  Thanks again everyone for your help and recommendations.  

Heinos is the place to go in north jersey.

I know Harv likes pictures so here you go: