classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Goodnow Ski Area, NY 2/17/2014

nelsap
This post was updated on .
You probably haven't heard of the Goodnow Ski Area. This is probably one of the lesser known operating public ski areas in the state. This is nary a mention of it anywhere on the web - virtually nothing. Yet, it is an incredibly beautiful small ski area that is free for skiers, but is supported by the taxpayers of Newcomb.

Goodnow is located in Newcomb, NY, off the Goodnow Flow Road. It has been in operation for nearly 40 years, features a T-bar with a midway unload (likely a modified Poma from another area), a warming hut, a main slope with several different aspects, and woods trail. The vertical is about 180', the lift is a 2 minute ride, the the trails/slopes are about 900-1000' in length. Services are basic, there are port-a-potties and no running water, and no snack bar. It appears that in the base lodge there are skis and boots, mainly for kids to borrow. There are now tickets, it is completely free. The area is open on holidays and weekends only.

I arrived after skiing Mt. Pisgah earlier in the day, and met up with the crew from North Country Public Radio who are producing a story on this area. When I arrived, the lift wasn't running - but my initial disappointment turned to joy when I walked over to the bottom of the T-bar, and saw the employees in the operators shack. I asked them if the lift was going to operate - they said "yes - when we have skiers here" - there had been skiers in the morning, but they had all left for the day. So they turned on the T-bar just for us! How often does that happen?

Skies were bluebird again, the snow had been rolled (not groomed), but there were still some powder pockets. The views to the north are stunning of Santanoni and Iroquois Peaks. This area is quite isolated, there are no signs of civilization from the top. The fact that it was just the three of us there was incredible...like enjoying your own private ski area!

This area should be on everybody's list to check off... the scenery, or the atmosphere. And the woods trail was surprising for a smaller area.

I took some photos and video of the experience. I hope this will give some exposure to this unique area!

Jeremy

Bottom of ski area
Bottom of ski area

Midstation of T-bar
Midstation of T-bar

Top of T-bar
Top of T-bar

View from top. Santanoni on left, Iroquois on right
View

Lower portion of main slope
Lower portion of main slope

Woods trail
Woods trail

Woods trail
Woods trail

Bottom of Woods Trail, looking towards Santanoni
Bottom of woods trail, looking towards Santanoni

Riding the T-bar

Main Slope

Skiing the Woods Trail
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Goodnow Ski Area, NY 2/17/2014

x10003q
Cool trip report. Now we need one for Indian Lake, Schroon, and Dynamite Hill in Chestertown. Are there others?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by nelsap
Wow JD this is a really fun report. As you guessed, I've never heard of Goodnow, but would love to visit.  Love the little base buildings.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Free skiing? The area looks great, what a place to learn.
Reply | Threaded
|

nelsap
Glad you all enjoyed the report...it is a very unique place.

If you do go to Goodnow, suggest that you visit the High Peaks Kitchen & Campgrounds Diner on 28N in town or W&D's General Store for provisions, as a small way to thank the taxpayers that fund the ski area.

JD
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I always enjoy the reports of the mom and pops and have been my working my way down to smaller hills each season.

There are even some totally private areas that I've learned about in recent years that still run. Private, as in someone's backyard, runs it for friends, etc.

I think I noticed one on the corner of 22 and 7 in Hoosick Falls the other day. Do you make any attempt to track or document these "resorts"? Any info about this one?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
seem to have answered my own question hoosick falls != hoosac. Odd spellings up there.

http://www.nelsap.org/ny/hoosac.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ml242
I'd really like to put this in the directory along with any other small NY public areas.  But with no map or website, not sure how I get that done.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

nelsap
Harvey,

Maybe use a Terraserver or Google Earth Image?

msrmaps.com

Jeremy
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
This is the radio report with discussion from Jeremy about Goodnow:
http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/02/how-small-ski-hills-survive-in-the-adirondacks