Gore 2013

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore 2013

sirskier
It is that time of year again.  This will be my 3rd season if I make it to Gore.  I must say I love the terrain, the lack of lift lines, and the ski school for the kids.    Many downstaters like myself do X-mass, MLK, and Pres. day and call it quits.  I go for more of a steady January Blitz where my kids get 4/5 weekends at the same place with the same instructors. It works great at Gore because they have a nice Mountain Adventure Program that is one of the best deals I have every seen, especially the full day where my son's get one on one instructions because everyone else seems to go home.  

The one thing that I find tough is the amount of lodging that is available for families like mine with little kids.   I think Gore would benefit if they had more smaller/newer/closer places to rent near Gore that were affordable!  It is not that easy to find a place for $1000/$1500 bucks for  a month.  I tried sharing larger places with other families, which is difficult to get a commitment.  
On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 2013

Denis.N
are you looking for a seasonal rental, if so contact Pearsall Realty in Wevertown, they have helped us rent a house.

check this one if not rented yet: http://gorenysef.blogspot.com/2012/10/ski-house-for-rent.html

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by sirskier
sirskier wrote
I go for more of a steady January Blitz where my kids get 4/5 weekends at the same place with the same instructors. It works great at Gore because they have a nice Mountain Adventure Program that is one of the best deals I have every seen, especially the full day where my son's get one on one instructions because everyone else seems to go home.  
True. Mountain Adventure Program at Gore is one of the best lesson deals in the country.
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
In reply to this post by Denis.N

Thanks.  I am sure it is a great deal but too big and too long of a rental for me/wife and boys.

Best,

Chris
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I have a ski house, but life situation requires I rent it for the season

That said, I plan to come up and would love to share some space if we can find it.   I will save your name and message you when/if I come over the weekends.      I plan to come up weekdays too and if you are interested you may stay in my house for a very reasonable fee.  I have a two skiers under 7, one skis black--say Rumor, the other light blue, Twister but not the last drop--maybe we could divide and concur.    

Anyone else is welcome to take me up on this as well, email me and I can keep a list.   No weekends--but Sunday nights could be a go.     I will have to be there for this to work.  

Not new, actually old--but very family friendly in my view---And cheap.   Inn at Gore--where Beaverbrook Rafting goes out of.   Two beds per suite, two suites connected by a very cold foyer.   Suite--overstatment of the room.   But they are well heated.     Tell them I said so, maybe they will discount me next time I go.    
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
If you are willing to make the trip from Lake George, there are probably plenty of places to rent for the season there.  We rented a huge 3 bedroom townhouse that looked right out onto the lake for 2 winters a few years ago.  I think we paid $1650/month, including all utilities and cable.  The drive isn't bad, but it can be wearing if you are doing it every day for a week.  We never minded it on the weekends, because it made our trip home a little shorter.  Lake George Village is pretty dead in the winter though. Bolton Landing seems to have a little more life in it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Mountain Adventure Program at Gore is one of the best lesson deals in the country.
100% agree regarding Mountain Adventure - awesome program gotten even better last year under Mark O'C.

CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
+1 for Mark O'C and Mountain Adventure.
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
In reply to this post by poindexter
Great idea.  I am close to landing a place for 3/4 weekends in January.  An appartment at a reasonable rate.  I need a place to hang my hat MLK weekend, which I am working on.
Looking at the Black Mountain Inn.
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
Update:  I rented a nice apartment in Chestertown about 20 mins away, should work out well.  The only thing I am not so happy with is that the ski school will not allow me to do make ups on any day except a weekend in March :(   Last year I only rented for 5 weekend and was able to make up my 6th weekend on a Sunday through a regular Kids Club session.