classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore 2015-2016 Snow Total

Spongeworthy
Harv,

What's your thinking about including the 7" of snow Gore got the day after it closed for the season. Seems like "If a tree falls in the forest . . . "
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 2015-2016 Snow Total

Harvey
Administrator
Wow someone is actually paying attention.  I was actually going to stop my Gore snow recording after this season as it seems arbitrary to do this tracking for one NY mountain. In addition the way Gore reports this makes it hard to figure out what is happening. Even more arbitrary, if I am in North Creek and I measure something other than what is reported by the mountain I go with that.  Still, in an email sent out by Gore a few days ago before the last snow, the total mentioned by the mountain was within one inch of our record.

So... to the question...

Snow is a natural weather occurrence and not really related to man's decisions about when to spin lifts.

To be devil's advocate, Hickory lifts did not spin this year. Should they average zero inches into the 80" snow total? If Aaron decides not to spin em at Whiteface on Sunday, should they remove yesterdays snow from the total?  Or another point... Whiteface's season total is a cumulative number from the summit. Can you actually ski the summit with a lift?  Once you make one turn you are below the summit. Some of that snow fell before the summit was accessible by lift. Should that snow count?

The process is inherently flawed and also part of marketing.

I posted this question in a facebook group I belong too (Ski + Ride VT). Stowe counts any snow after 11/1. Others (K and Sunday River) count any snow after 10/1.

I like to know how much snow fell and when. If 5 inches fell in May, I'd like to remember it. It's my practice to report anything between Sept 1 2015 and August 31 2016 in the 2015-16 snow total.  Like many things on NYSB I started doing this for myself. I'm a nordic skier and I'm not fully focused on the running of lifts.  

The best skiing of the season at Gore was over the last few days (bet today was sweet too). And it is interesting to me that the largest snowfall of the season fell after most people were done skiing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
An email from Gore yesterday said they received 37 inches of snow to date compared to 122.5 last year at this time. They also added that in the 1982/1983 season Gore received 32 inches of snow. You need to continue your recording the snow totals.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Wow someone is actually paying attention.  I was actually going to stop my Gore snow recording after this season as it seems arbitrary to do this tracking for one NY mountain.

Not arbitrary when its your home mountain, Harv.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
An email from Gore yesterday said they received 37 inches of snow to date compared to 122.5 last year at this time. They also added that in the 1982/1983 season Gore received 32 inches of snow. You need to continue your recording the snow totals.
As mentioned in my original post the 37 reported by Gore compared to my 39, pretty close.

Last year I had 115 when they had 122.5.  Also reasonably close.

Like I said it ain't easy to follow.

If anyone REALLY thinks I should keep it up maybe they could help.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
Harvey wrote

If anyone REALLY thinks I should keep it up maybe they could help.
You probably should because that extra 2"  is a powder day at Gore
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Harvey wrote
Wow someone is actually paying attention.  I was actually going to stop my Gore snow recording after this season as it seems arbitrary to do this tracking for one NY mountain.
I think it's a valuable source of information for my home mountain. At my age I can't always remember which seasons were good and which were not. Your totals are close enough to jog my memory. I also (mis)interpreted it as reflective of Gore's lift-served ski season. That's the only reason I questioned including yesterday's (wasted) 7" of beautiful powder.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sponge, in fairness, in talking to Steve Wright, Alex Kaufman and a few others, the way you defined it is pretty standard. I'm just an obtuse bastard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Harvey wrote
Sponge, in fairness, in talking to Steve Wright, Alex Kaufman and a few others, the way you defined it is pretty standard. I'm just an obtuse bastard.
The world is a rich tapestry, my friend. Not a problem at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I forgot to mention... it has the added bonus of driving Jamesdeluxe crazy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Harvey wrote

NY is my home mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Yeah, but, what was the total rainfall this winter?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Yeah I thought it was pretty ballsy for WF to report season to date of 107".
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
I have no idea on how to measure rain remotely but I 'm thinking it must have been 10"+ Dec-Mar?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I was thinking if each mountain put up some sort of table/budda anything for that matter, say at 2500 feet and wiped it off every night at sweep.  Put a camera on it so we as customers can take a peek  and could tell how much snow fell.  What an easy way to create an even paying field for reporting snow totals.  
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
tjf1967 wrote
I was thinking if each mountain put up some sort of table/budda anything for that matter, say at 2500 feet and wiped it off every night at sweep.  Put a camera on it so we as customers can take a peek  and could tell how much snow fell.  What an easy way to create an even paying field for reporting snow totals.
Put it in front of the web cam, oh wait....
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I like the 2500 foot thing.

One thing Steve Wright said over at Ski + Ride VT was... "Jay counts snow if there's a justifiable expectation it'll be a available for guests."

That seems reasonable.  

One thing I do though... if it snows 5 inches and then pours for 2 days straight, I still count the 5 inches.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Most western mountains do this.  I spent all of December watching the snow stake at Steamboat.  One night they were supposed to get 5 and they got 9, and then some.  Mountain was 100% open in 2 weeks.

Not aware of any ec mountains with it.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
snoloco wrote
tjf1967 wrote
Most western mountains do this.  I spent all of December watching the snow stake at Steamboat.  One night they were supposed to get 5 and they got 9, and then some.  Mountain was 100% open in 2 weeks.

Not aware of any ec mountains with it.
do they have snow making?  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Spongeworthy wrote
I think it's a valuable source of information for my home mountain. At my age I can't always remember which seasons were good and which were not. Your totals are close enough to jog my memory.
This data is all being ported over to the new site, primarily because of this comment, and the fact that I sorta agree with you. On the new site I'm going to add a commentary for each season. Should be EASY to do as it happens, may be tougher to create retro actively. Sponge or anyone, would love help, going backward.

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Gore-Mountain-Snow-Totals-f5001434.html