Gore, April 1-2, 2017

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore, April 1-2, 2017

DomB
On Friday night, a great trip came together.  I am in the midst of changing day jobs, so as part of the give and take, my wife gave me the green light to take a last weekend trip by myself.  I texted my guru at Gore, Joe C., who was game.  My goal for the weekend: to ski Lies and Rumor for the first time.  The perfect storm of cancelled children's events and snowfall at Gore followed by spring conditions made it possible.  Details on Saturday and Sunday below.  I was lucky enough to get a total of 5 fun runs on Lies and Rumor before my legs gave out Sunday.  

On day 1 I free skied.  I arrived in North Creek at 1 a.m. with about 4 inches of heavy snow on the ground in the village.  The next day, after a heard of folks skated away from the Gondi, they dropped the rope at 8:28 a.m.  I was the second person on, after a young naval officer from LI based in Saratoga before taking a position on a sub.  

Just before getting first Cabin on the Gondi on Saturday morning

Then, some fund skiing on Hawkeye and Chatty (Hawkeye pictures below) followed by dinner at Bar VinoHawkeye early on Saturday.  Really fun powder

On day 2, it was on to Lies and Rumor.  I don't have pics to post of Lies, but it was very nice, groomed, and forgiving.  A lot of fun.  After 3 runs on Lies, I went up to Rumor with Joe C., a cert III who had skied with me before in clinics and coached me up for Lies and Rumor.  Needless to say, Rumor was awesome.  We did two runs there.  Skier's right had bigger bumps but a lower angle entry.   Skier's left was steeper but I found that entry easier as there were no bumps for two or three turns.  

I was lucky - I got a good set of days to go for it, and I know that I have a lot to learn before tackling Lies or Rumor in challenging conditions.  

It was so nice to see some of you, and meet new friends like Bobby J and Nizchelle.  All my best.  
Rumor top

Rumor bottom, sporting my wound, after coming down

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore, April 1-2, 2017

DomB
Just FYI - me holding up my hand is to show my skinned hand from a run down Rumor when I didn't where my gloves.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Very nice report  Dom... You need to get some Spring gloves.

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by DomB
Nice job taking advantage of that weather- worth the skinned knuckles I bet
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Skiray
Thanks!  I had really thin liners that I can ski with on moderate days, but I have hot hands (which I guess is better than cold hands), and I love said liners every season : )

I switched to my moderate gloves that are Serious brand, and then I have Serious Extreme, both relatively thin.  It was a dumb idea not to use the Serious's to start with, but if that is the injury I get from Rumor (albeit on probably the most forgiving day of the season), I'll take it.  

Glad to hear your wife is on the snow again.  Can't wait to check out your TR - they are always amazing quality with great story lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Brownski
Thanks!  Totally was.  Now I have to get good enough to ski Rumor on moderate conditions when they open it . . . .