classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
12345 ... 31
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Brownski
26.5-27.5 depending on the boot. I have problem calves.
You see, if you want to know something, just ask. That's interesting. It wouldn't have occurred to me that it was easier on the hips but it makes sense.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

BRLKED
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Day Two

Even though temperatures at the Base Lodge were reaching into the mid-40's, and a short burst of rain passed by, it was good to see that Gore summit survived today's mild weather.  Looking at the current forecast, there's a possibility that this might be the beginning of the 2017-2018 season's snow pack.

Gore Summit Looking Frosty
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Nice shot of Ruby Run.

Mike I saw you three times from the quad and couldn't get my camera out fast enough to get a shot of the monoboard in action.

Seems like all my pics from today are tele skiers.

Jeff

Eric

BRLKED

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Dusting in North River, I hung out to make one last pass through our nordic trails with the small saw.

How was the hill?
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
This post was updated on .
Conditions were very good today, considering it is November and we haven't had any snowfall.   Good cover on Showcase from top to bottom.  Did not ski Foxlair since we were not interested in Wild Air, but looked okay from the quad and gondola.  Ruby Run a little windswept and cold, but fine.  (Probably not the greatest conditions on that run today for beginners.)  Wild Air looked like it was getting scraped down about halfway.  The Arena in good shape.

The view from base lodge at 9:00 a.m.:

Looking up towards Ruby Run traverse from Saddle Lodge:

Looking down the saddle from in front of the lodge:

A shot of the top of Wild Air from the gondola:

Showcase from about 100 yards below Lower Sleighride entrance:

Looking up at Wild Air from end of 2B:

Looking down at The Arena from 2B:

A bird's-eye view of Foxlair and Wild Air from the gondola:

Some interior shots of the renovated Saddle Lodge:

What you see when you walk in:

Looking up at the mezzanine from inside the front entrance:

They kept the old bench on the stairwell (one of only a few places to sit comfortably to adjust your boots):

The upper mezzanine:

Another shot of the upper mezzanine, taken from the lower mezzanine:

The view of the saddle and the quad from the front windows of the upper mezzanine:

And the men's bathroom (I will miss those swinging doors -- I always felt I was in some kind of ski western):

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
The other thing I wanted to mention is that they added these really annoying parts to the safety bar on the AEII.  They basically extend down between your legs, presumably to keep a rider from sliding out.  I assume this is because of the woman who fell from the Hunter lift a few years ago.  My perspective is that it is one more thing for your gear to get caught on when getting off the lift.  Not sure a regular skier designed these.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the pics petronio!  I didn't have the stones to take any in the lav.

I assumed those guards were for tots, maybe to take some pressure off an adult or instructor skiing with little ones.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
Thanks for the pics petronio!  I didn't have the stones to take any in the lav.

I assumed those guards were for tots, maybe to take some pressure off an adult or instructor skiing with little ones.
That was the thinking when they were added to the lifts at Alta.  Still a major pain, especially when only one or two people on a quad chair.  When whenever riding up with someone who . . . umm . . . isn't petite like I am.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
In reply to this post by Harvey
As I understand it, a young gal slid out through the space between the safety bar and the seat last year on the AEII and was seriously injured, thus the new accessories.  Not a bad idea.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
I started seeing those things on safety bars in Europe about five years ago. Kinda annoying for adults but I guess I understand the reasoning for kids.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
Day Two

Even though temperatures at the Base Lodge were reaching into the mid-40's, and a short burst of rain passed by, it was good to see that Gore summit survived today's mild weather.  Looking at the current forecast, there's a possibility that this might be the beginning of the 2017-2018 season's snow pack.

When did Ruby Run become a blue?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Why a blue, interesting question.    Also, what is driving other mt reports, such as Big Sky, to be "higher" up on the conditions list?  Have to scroll down to find Gore and WF even though they are more current, is this by design and I missed something?  Thanks for checking it out!
Reply | Threaded
|

Scersk
In reply to this post by Petronio
Taking a look at those snapshots, it looks like the view out the back of the Saddle Lodge has been limited in favor of more view out the front, which is too bad. The "money shot," to me, is the view of the High Peaks to the north, and that huge bank of windows stretching between two floors really gave you a lot to look at.

Half-height windows on the ground floor rather than full-height was a really bad design choice, and putting tables rather than benches or some other sort of chair near the windows on the second floor will prevent people from enjoying it as much as they could have. Whosoever gets there first will dominate the views.

Meh. Oh well, the price of progress and sanitation, I suppose.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
I didn't notice that when I skied on Sunday, but I know on the website it says that the mountain is open for "intermediates and expert terrain" only.  The blue marker looks pasted on the permanent sign.  I assume they put it on to make it "official" intermediate terrain for the time being until they get Sunway open all the way down.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Did you notice it skiing easier with the new sign and all?
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
tjf1967 wrote
Did you notice it skiing easier with the new sign and all?
Actually with the wind and scratchy cover on Ruby Run, I thought any real beginners on Sunday morning who insisted on skiing might not be enjoying it.  There was one gust of wind that almost stopped me short right before the dogleg left turn.

One thing that did seem noticeably easier was the run-out from Ruby Run to the saddle lodge.  They must have regraded a little bit.   Last year my youngest (who skis blacks pretty easily now) would really have to skate quite a bit there.  She is about 10 pounds heavier and on longer skis this year after a growth spurt so is going to be able to coast farther than before, but even so she made it over the traverse in less than 25% the time.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Petronio wrote
x10003q wrote
I didn't notice that when I skied on Sunday, but I know on the website it says that the mountain is open for "intermediates and expert terrain" only.  The blue marker looks pasted on the permanent sign.  I assume they put it on to make it "official" intermediate terrain for the time being until they get Sunway open all the way down.

Petronio
That's actually pretty good thinking if that what happened.  I green sign should indicate that you can get back to the lift as a green skier.

In the case of Wood In, I thought it was Blue (vs Green) because there isn't enough pitch to get you there. If so Ruby could be Blue too, but then there'd be no green skiing off the Gondi.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Petronio wrote
One thing that did seem noticeably easier was the run-out from Ruby Run to the saddle lodge.  They must have regraded a little bit.
From the boss: "No regrade, just came out nice."
12345 ... 31