classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
1234567 ... 31
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

MikePom
You gotta love these clippers when they are in true form.  This one really delivered!
Reply | Threaded
|

ka2kci
Gore skied well on Thursday.  Packed powder conditions all around.  Unca's opened and was a little tricky with the snow whales and choppy conditions.  A little bit of human grooming will help a great deal.  Summit will be opening on Saturday.  Best early season conditions in a long time.  They are off to a good start and the Saddle Lodge improvements are very good.  The janitor tells me that if you like the new Saddle Lodge, then you will really like the new Summit Lodge in the old Gondola Building.  I am also looking forward to the new Web Cam.  Be sure to get out and ski the packed powder before our next rain event, which my experience living in Upstate NY my entire life, is bound to happen.  If any one from Gore Management is reading this, I have one pet peeve:  The staff using snowmobiles are traveling way to fast on open trails and for some reason can't stay in one track.  Yesterday, they completely screwed up the grooming job on Showcase by having multiple tracks up the trail.  The snowmobile tracks were literally from one edge of the trail to the other and made for difficult skiing early on.  It seems pointless to groom a trail and then have your staff ruin it due to not paying attention.  This has been a constant problem at Gore for years.   I hope that someone in management takes this peeve seriously.  Gore has come a long way over the years and now paying attention to details can make a great experience even better!!!
Matt
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gore was fun today. Lower Mtn skied great, Open Pit was a hoot.  Surprised to find untouched snow down the sides of Headwaters. Snowing all day lightly, sometimes moderately.

I'll see if I have any decent pics later, out into the woods now.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Great weekend at Gore. I actually think the skiing was better today than yesterday.  Headwaters, Open Pit and the lower mountain.  Showcase and Sunway were a blast.   Topridge was closed.

So tBatt takes up tele to make his life more interesting, and after 10 days on freeheels, well, he's better than me, and I've been at it for 15 years.

Harv: Hey T, we want to go back down and ski the lower mountain, you mind Clouding Out?

QOTD: "I'm all about Clouding Out. I'm a teleskier now!"

Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Harvey
Gore skied great today.Soft as butter, but not sloppy. Hawkeye was great, although everything else was just as good. Whale humps are still on open pit. There was more brown than I expected and I'm guessing some snowmaking will need to be diverted to the lower mountain to freshen it up.

A patroller told me the parts for the Topridge triple were supposed to arrive today and if all goes well, installed tomorrow and spinning Thursday.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
What happened to the TopRidge Triple? Was on it Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Nice and powdy. A few inches so far. North side should open soon.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Good source said the North Quad is opening Sunday
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
At least the graphics are relatively up beat

Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
Great day today.  Was going to ski Sat but the rain forecast made me yank the kid out of school and head up today. Powder was great on the sides of all trails, with snow falling all day and very little wind.  Highlight might have been Cloud/headwaters/dell.

Topridge was turning, Hawkeye was pretty good, didn’t try Lies.  Seems like all hands are making snow and the snow cats are staying in the garage.  Ideslly they would push some snow around on Twister and groom today’s 6-8” so the base is stronger and more consistent before tomorrow’s rain and subsequent freeze.  But they won’t have time, so I’m worried about conditions next week after a snow/ rain/freeze cycle.  No doubt there will be decent coverage though, and they should be able to open more terrain.  Just might be pretty uneven.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Capdistski wrote
Great day today.  Was going to ski Sat but the rain forecast made me yank the kid out of school and head up today. Powder was great on the sides of all trails, with snow falling all day and very little wind.  Highlight might have been Cloud/headwaters/dell.

Topridge was turning, Hawkeye was pretty good, didn’t try Lies.  Seems like all hands are making snow and the snow cats are staying in the garage.  Ideslly they would push some snow around on Twister and groom today’s 6-8” so the base is stronger and more consistent before tomorrow’s rain and subsequent freeze.  But they won’t have time, so I’m worried about conditions next week after a snow/ rain/freeze cycle.  No doubt there will be decent coverage though, and they should be able to open more terrain.  Just might be pretty uneven.
Thank you for this.

Did the 8" reported add up to what you saw?

Based on the smiles I saw from my buds on Facebook, it was a big day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
I think it was close to 8”.  I saw good evidence of a solid 6” on top of huts, etc.  Whalebacks on Twister are insane.  I’m worried if they harden up too much it will be a while before they can get that run the way we like it...
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
You want to make first chair tomorrow. It got better and better as the day went on.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The Garnet Hill Lodge webcam is back up:

https://www.garnet-hill.com/skiing/trail-conditions/

It's not the sharpest view, but it is a working webcam at 2000 feet, 4 miles from from Gore.

You can find the link on the Albany weather page in the sidebar:

Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
I'm sure there's a thread about it but remind me why the new Gore GM didn't put in a webcam?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
bumps wrote
I'm sure there's a thread about it but remind me why the new Gore GM didn't put in a webcam?
http://nyskiblog.com/interview-gore-gm-bone-bayse/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"We had good skiing today, though wet. Expecting 8 or more of fresh on Monday, it should be a great week. North side opens tomorrow.  Snowmaking starts on Echo tonight and 46er the next day."
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
heard it was icy today?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Makes sense.

Bring it!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore reporting 5, but my ace plow guy says looks like 7 at our place. (1900).
1234567 ... 31