classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
1 ... 2728293031
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Brownski
Just getting on the Gondi now. Black pants blue anorak (for now) Brown skis - if anyone wants to say hi
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
We were all saddened to hear a rumor that Gore has decided to dismantle the Yurt at the Ski Bowl.  This is unconfirmed of course, but as it was described, it appears that the Nordic Skiers don't like the Alpine Skiers walking across the track.  I don't have any further detail on this yet.

If this is true, loss of the Yurt would, in my opinion, be tragic.  I've fostered many friendships at the Yurt.  Friendships that will last for years.  And every season, since its inception, the Yurt opened this magical portal into skiing day's past.  We check the ski report every weekend on hope the Ski Bowl (and the Yurt) would be open, anxious to revisit the intimacy it offered, to not only access a great mountain in a great way, but also to rekindle our friendships, get lost in the Ski Bowl and support Gore's endeavor to bring success to the interconnect, Burnt Ridge and everything down slope of the main mountain.

Perhaps the NYSB mind trust can uncover more information on this?
That would SUCK.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Yurt removal:

"Not this summer."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Will do a more detailed post later since a work crisis came up, but today was an epic closing day at Gore! So glad I went and got my Rumor laps in, and boy was it saweeeeeeeeet!

Props to Gore and ORDA for staying open an extra weekend. I know they probably didn't make any $$$, but your pass holders (like me) appreciate it!

Hoping to get 1 more ORDA day in next weekend at Whiteface depending on the forecast.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
From snow report:  "We will back in touch soon on new improvement projects to make the 18/19 winter even better".

Could a lift announcement be coming?    This is exactly what they did before the dropped the AE2 announcement 4 years ago.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I'll be posting a more detailed report later, but yes it was EPIC.  Best two ski day's I've had at Gore in a long time.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
props to gore today. i am quick to bash them but in this case they nailed it.   $29 lift ticket and corn snow.
thank you
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig

this is the top of gore today. not what you expect at the end of april. as it melted chunks were crashing to the ground. not safe to pee in the woods today
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
I'll be posting a more detailed report later, but yes it was EPIC.  Best two ski day's I've had at Gore in a long time.
Missed you Mike.

Everyone was uptop I guess on Rumor etc.

I was on Topridge again until I could no longer turn.

Brownski on Topridge

Great weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
What a day!  Lies was best and topridge 2nd to me rumor was good but I needed longer skis...Man I am gonna miss this.  Maybe next weekend at the faceHike too will be good for a while.  Nice meeting Brownski and awesome meeting Rich and his dad Larry the legend.  Watching Larry ski Rumor at age 86 was an inspiration. Let's do this again next year
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Holy crap. What a day. Great meeting you too, Suds, and BRLKD, Kman, Freeheel, Fixedheel MC and C and whoever I missed, I apologize. I feel like I met the entire Gore crew today. Absolutely awesome. Thanks for the pic Harv.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
So somehow yet again I missed Harvey and the Gore crew...nonetheless had a great day.

Was thinking of heading up yesterday...but work obligations post my Tahoe trip (TR coming soon...maybe?) didn't allow that to happen (welcome to consulting...). Had to settle for today instead, which wasn't really settling since it was awesome.

Got on the hill around 10. Took the gondola up to uncas, which was soft by then. Skied down to the topridge base for a repeat since topridge was still closed. Moved to straightbrook and skied chatty, which was pretty soft, then to lies which was also soft. Did a couple lies laps before moving to hawkeye which had softened, and rumor which wasn't quite primo soft yet as of 11:30. Followed the lies hawkeye laps until 12:30, at which point I moved to rumor...and didn't leave.

From 12:30 to when I had to leave at 2:15 due to work, rumor was prime. Not bumped, but a nice crop of soft sugar snow with every turn. I wouldn't call it true "corn" but boy was it nice. Skied nothing but rumor it was so great until 2:15, when I took foxlair and showcase down to the base. Neither run was all that memorable...as it was basically waterskiing to get down. I'll take it though for the rumor laps.

Great closing day, and maybe best conditions I skied on rumor this season. Props to Gore management for staying open another week despite not making much, if any money. As a season pass holder, it is much appreciated.

Only two pics, but they are pics of what mattered today. Rumor, and the homebrew I made and named after it (made 3 months ago, tapped last week).

Maybe I will close out my ORDA days at WF next weekend?

To the 2018-2019 Gore season!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Even with limited terrain it was hard to connect.

Nice stoke Kleetus!

Martha heads for Rumor
Reply | Threaded
|

professor
 Wow...great photo...really captures the day
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
What a day!  Lies was best and topridge 2nd to me rumor was good but I needed longer skis...Man I am gonna miss this.  
I agree with lies.  everyone wanted to ski rumor but lies was much better. the lower half of Hawkeye was quite nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
As every ski season ends, its always a bitter sweet sensation.  

Most years our family ends our season on Sunway just past the Gondola crossing at the "Slow Zone".  We stop and pause as a group to reminisce the season on the flat,  many a year on a warm sunny day as it was yesterday, and remind ourselves how lucky we are and be thankful for the safe passage through another year.  This year we made sure our last run was for my daughter Madison, who is studying overseas and has been unable to share the ski season with us.  

Skiing is our family thing, its special, its the one thing that brings us all together in an extraordinary way.  It is the root of who we are and we pass nearly five months of every year celebrating winter and this amazing sport.

For me, the pause at the "Slow Zone" on that last run in the sun is full of emotion.  I look at my family and the memories of them on the mountain fill the air like heavy snow falling on a winter day.  Each year, this ritual becomes more and more important to me as I know time is passing and as always, change is forever in the air.

After our pause and goodbye to the season past, I always say to them, "Lets bring it on home" and as I turn and ski away, I raise my arms high in the air, punch the sky in victory, and we ski it down.

A few photos from our amazing Gore closing day, April 22, 2018:

Paolo on Rumor
Paolo catching air off Rumor headwall

Paolo on Rumor with Mono
Paolo on Rumor with my Mono

Milo on Rumor
Milo on Rumor headwall

Milana on headwall
Milana getting ready to rip the headwall

Karen on headwall of The Rumor
Karen on the headwall

So as this season comes to an end, next season is already on my mind.  This will be my last entry for some time, so I'm leaving with one final note.......

Timer

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Holy crap drop the Mike, you can't just walk out for the season without giving us a chance to say our goodbyea!

Nice tribute though. And sorry I didn't see you guys on Rumor.  Next year for sure!

Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Harvey as you get to know me you'll know that I never drop out of ski season.....WF next weekend ( I believe they will be spinning) and then off the the Superstar Glacier.....I try not to let my season end until the last crystal has melted.....this was just my homage to Gore....
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I happened to be in Bolton Landing this weekend and noticed an article in the local paper describing a "Land Swap" that Gore had negotiated with the APA.  It was not specific to the exact location or acreage of the parcels in question so I was unable to ascertain an details.

I suspect it may have something to do with expanding access to the Ski Bowl?

Does anyone have more information on this?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"Approximately 38.7 acres of intensive use land just off the summit of Gore is being re-classified as part of the Siamese Pond Wilderness area.  This area is a spruce –fir forest and prime habitat for the Bicknell’s Thrush.

In exchange, 29 acres of Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest is being re-classified as intensive use land. This will allow us to realign lift #12, (Hudson Chair), allowing for better build out of already approved ski trails at the Ski Bowl. This will also provide for lift access mtn biking and hiking as we gear up to move our expanded summer operations to the Ski Bowl."
1 ... 2728293031