classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions Seriously lacking

Noah John
tjf1967 wrote
I never understand where either of the hills get there snow totals from.  You mentioned Patrol but they dont get up on the hill until the lifts spin which is about 20 minutes before they open to the public.  It must come from the groomers and the snowmakers and they are not going to a specific spot to measure each time.  

Does anyone know where/how/who gets the numbers for the totals?
  Good question.  If they're not measuring from the same spot at the same time of day their #s are basically useless.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
WF patrol sets up snow stakes on summit, little face and base.  they check same location as part of daily ops...

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Noah John
Yeah I think that may be the case.   I think they are guestimates based on observations from groomers.  I have been to the snow stakes and had first tracks in.  Im guessing it the same way at every hill.   That would not be a bad job for someone.  Jump on a sled at 5 in the morning and cruise up the hill to get accurate measurements.  HMM retirment.  Golf starter in the summer and snow measurer in the winter.  
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I think they take the higher of NWS, weather.com, accuweather or a nearby drift and multiply by 2.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Gore guesses at snowfall and snow depth.  Patrol may be involved in the guess sometimes, but there is no objective measurement system in place. Fact
I Think, Therefore I Ski