Gore Conditions Seriously lacking

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Conditions Seriously lacking

evergreen
The new Gore website needs to be improved, the conditions section is woefully inadequate:

In contrast, here is the Whiteface site:
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Conditions Seriously lacking

Snowballs
Banned User
Yep.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
people still look at gores website?

I can understand if you are buying a pass, but if you have a season pass, who cares. if it sucks, take 2 runs then leave.

'well what if you have kids?' then look at the website for what it is. or watch the weather for north creek. gores ski report and going to be hyped anyway, just like every other mountain.

that being said, after looking through the new website, its horrendously laid out.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Condor wrote
I can understand if you are buying a pass, but if you have a season pass, who cares. if it sucks, take 2 runs then leave.
Awfully long drive for 2 runs...
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
The new Gore website needs to be improved, the conditions section is woefully inadequate:

In contrast, here is the Whiteface site:

Gore should have just copied this section of WF's site. Snow totals and current weather conditions are sort of important for skiers/boarders.

Good to see Gore sticking to there "less is more" guns. No need for cams or current weather or snow totals.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Excellent point X! Great Idea !
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
I agree - not that resorts are totally honest about surface conditions anyway, but it'd be nice to know how much snow they got and if its MGFG before you drive up. I was excited about the website overhaul, but in many respects, this site is worse than the previous one!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
this page isn't done yet. will try to get details tonight

(via mobile)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Like other new websites there are issues to be worked out. Snow amounts base depth and other fields will be pulled in.

I probably won't get exactly what I want but it will be significantly more than what is currently displayed.

(via mobile)
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Didn't realize you were working on the Gore site as well as MRG.  Noticing some positive changes already, will be patient!  Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
evergreen wrote
Didn't realize you were working on the Gore site as well as MRG.
I'm not actually working on Gore's site.  (But I do want to see it be as good as it can be.)

Last night was the New York (SANY) press event, and I knew that the folks from ad workshop (ad agency for WF/Gore/Bell) would be there so I knew I could ask them about it.

The woman who handles Gore basically said that there are several fields that aren't displaying on the conditions page and they are working to resolve the issue.

If anyone finds bugs in the site, post them in this thread. It will help.  I found one trying to submit a photo for photo of the day, and ad workshop was grateful for the info.

FYI the new MRG site is up (looks the same but completely new back end functionality). So far so good.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
The woman who handles Gore basically said that there are several fields that aren't displaying on the conditions page and they are working to resolve the issue.
I don't know much about your fancy computers and internet, I'm just a caveman, but this doesn't seem like an issue that would be really hard to fix
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris@GORE
Ahh, the website is fine as is, most people head to Whiteface anyways.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I don't know much about your fancy computers and internet, I'm just a caveman, but this doesn't seem like an issue that would be really hard to fix
Do you work at the Whitehouse?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
TomCat wrote
Do you work at the Whitehouse?
Signing up hundreds of thousands of people for complicated health insurance seems a tad more difficult that displaying current weather conditions...
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Condor wrote
Awfully long drive for 2 runs...
One of the great things a web site can do is convey information. What you do with the information is your choice.

It seems every ski area, other than Gore, understands that. Gore knows, from Patrol, exactly what the conditions are before the mountain opens that day. Is it asking too much to tell us on the web site?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Sponge !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
I never understand where either of the hills get there snow totals from.  You mentioned Patrol but they dont get up on the hill until the lifts spin which is about 20 minutes before they open to the public.  It must come from the groomers and the snowmakers and they are not going to a specific spot to measure each time.  

Does anyone know where/how/who gets the numbers for the totals?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
tjf1967 wrote
I never understand where either of the hills get there snow totals from.  
Resorts that actually measure have snowboards that someone checks well before the lifts spin